Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:21 AM   #1

Default Speed up PC for photo editing? What to upgrade?

I would love to make my pc faster for photo and video editing. Adobe is trying to help us with some ionstructions on their website but it is not clear how much processing power I gain via replacing one or two components of my desktop. I have read tons of threads on the issue however but I don't seem to find the right way to do it... I would like Lightroom to respond faster when I switch between two images. I would love Portraiture to finish processing the photo I am working on faster in Photoshop, etc My PC: Windows 7, CPU: i7 3770K, Memory 16GB

My questions:
- How much speed do I gain by upgrading the memory to 32GB?
- Would an expensive video card help? Which one?
- Should I upgrade my CPU? Which one do you recommend? Have you done these modifications before?

What is your experience? Which upgrade yielded the best results? Thanks so much!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:39 PM   #2

Doubling you memory should improve performance quite a bit.
For everything else, how much money do you want to spend?
I'd start with the memory upgrade first and see if that satisfies your needs for now.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:42 PM   #3

I'm not a Photoshop user, so don't know how well it utilizes RAM, but for photos, I would not expect simply doubling the RAM, when you have that much to start with, to do much good. (Unless you can designate it as a RAMdisk for swap files)
The video card is really only rendering the image for your monitor, not involved with the editing. If the photos you are working on are really large, you may see some improvement when switching between images.
One thing which made a major performance difference for me, was switching to a SSD. I have a fairly high number of undo steps set, which requires considerable space on disk, and the faster r/w speed of the SSD definitely helps. Large swap files, when you are editing can turn a HDD into a bottleneck, despite having a high performance PC.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
Doubling you memory should improve performance quite a bit.
For everything else, how much money do you want to spend?
I'd start with the memory upgrade first and see if that satisfies your needs for now.
I will start with that! The only problem is that my mother may not support double memory... I may have to change the motherboard as well....