Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:53 AM   #1

Default PS or PSP - Is there a huge difference?

I have used Paintshop pro for about 6yrs now. I am getting into digital photography and I am also a scrapbooker.

Alot of the ladies that do computer generated layouts use Photoshop for photo editing - adding backgrounds - images - text etc.. Theirs come out looking so good I am beginning to wonder if it is my technique or if photoshop allows the user to do more functions?

I am just curious as to if there is a big difference between the two programs?
MsJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:55 AM   #2

Here is a link to some examples if your not familiar with computer generated layouts: http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.a...ategory_id=130
MsJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:36 PM   #3

I don't know the answer, but I'm wanting to watch this post, as I also scrapbook (& visit 2peas often!). Aren't the cg lo's awesome? I'm hoping I can do some basic lo's with ps elements.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:24 AM   #4

Iíve used Photoshop since version 3 and am not about to change. But I have seen some very nice work from PSP and PhotoImpact. If you see a difference between your results and others using Photoshop I would guess it has more to do with technique than the image editor. There are some good tutorials for PSP online. Time you spent relearning Photoshop might be better spent refining your workflow in PSP.

Photoshop is the best image editor you can get and there are more good tutorials for it. But it is pricey and the things Photoshop will do better are pretty much limited to very high-end stuff. I donít think there is any difference in the results you can get at all for most image editing.

I also have InDesign for layouts and it integrates very well with Photoshop. But for someone using Quark for instance that wouldnít make any difference. InDesign does a better job of translating the job to Acrobat format, which is how I send stuff to the printer. InDesign is a program you have to use almost daily or you forget whether the little symbol that has an A with a funny A over a T is the one you want to use or the one with the big A beside a little A with a bar and some lines. The menu system is just too tiny and busy and the ancient runes it uses for symbols too obscure for occasional use. I had an old program that opened a menu for whatever you wanted to do which was much easier for occasional use. But it did a poor job changing to Acrobat.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote