Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Canon CP-200 Print Settings (Photoshop)

I bought my CP-200 at Christmas and I will say I really like this printer. I do have a problem that I am trying to figure out.

When I print directly from my Canon PowerShot S400 the pictures look great! Nice color, nice tones with very little noise or grain. The skin tones look great and are blended very well. The problem is many times I like to touch up my photos. When I import my file into Adobe Photoshop, touch up the photo (redeye), then print, the printed photo quality does not look as good. The skin tones are not as soft. It is only when I print from my PC to my CP-200. The image in the screen looks great. I have spent hours attempting to adjust my settings and I am real close. Can any one help me?

Thanks!

Chris
waqxings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:45 AM   #2

Set your Photoshop color space for Adobe RGB. It prints a little better than sRGB.

Make sure you arenít doing something with the size of the image. You normally have to crop to print a 4 X 6 or any other standard size, and it is easy to resample the image while you are doing it. Use the crop tool. Set 6 inches in the width and 4 in the height with NOTHING in the PPI box. When you crop it will just remove what you donít need without a resample of the image. Do not save again as a JPG. ďSave asĒ and use TIFF. That preserves your original image and does not add more compression artifacts to the image you want to print.

Do not mess with the Contrast and Brightness settings. Even the Photoshop help says they are not for advanced work. And be careful with Curves. If Auto-Levels doesnít give you what you want, go back one step in the history and use Levels. Curves is great but you have to know what you are doing or you can get a poor print.

If you are printing directly from Photoshop, havenít resampled the image, are using Adobe RGB and havenít messed with the Contrast and Brightness setting the images should print fine from Photoshop. It is about the only way I print and they come out well.

You might also want to use the Adobe Gamma Loader that comes with Photoshop to adjust your monitor so that what is on the screen is what Photoshop thinks is on the screen.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 1:37 PM   #3

slipe

Thanks for your help. Please take a look at my settings.

http://members.cox.net/csnoel/

I created some screen shots af my setup. Can you tell me if
I have this set up wrong?

Thanks

Chris[/url]
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:12 PM   #4

I replied to your PM but it is better to have others comment.

There isnít any sense in using Adobe RGB as your working space and using the embedded sRGB for everything you load. You just get the nuisance screen. Change the working space to sRGB and you wonít get the nuisance message box making you chose between the embedded and working space.

Show us the screen you get when you go Image>Image size with that image the way it is when you are ready to print.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:39 PM   #5

I am doing so now...
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:57 PM   #6

Default More screen shots

Ok, again thanks for your time..

1. You asked to see my screen for image size. I always set this to 320dpi to start.
http://members.cox.net/csnoel/image_size.htm

2. I found this help file, It has some good info. (one problem)
http://members.cox.net/csnoel/1_24_5_0.html

3. Review of note#5 on the last page. My CP-200 does not show
up on my list of choices.
http://members.cox.net/csnoel/print.htm

Chris
Old Mar 6, 2004, 3:25 PM   #7

Default Another Issue

Slipe,

I think this is the main problem. The help file tells you in note #6

"6. Specify the printer settings.

In the second Print dialog box, choose your printing options. On Windows, click the Properties button, then the Advanced button, to access the printer driver options. On Mac OS, use the pop-up menu to access the printer driver options. If you chose Printer Color Management in the previous step, specify the color management settings. If you're letting Photoshop control the color management, then make sure any color management options are turned off.

Do not apply color management twice to your image. Unpredictable print color will result if color management is done with both Photoshop and the printer driver simultaneously."

The problem is when I go to click Print, then select the properties button, it says to select the "Advanced button, to access the printer driver options." I have no advanceed button to select.

http://members.cox.net/csnoel/properties.htm

Am I missing somthing????
Old Mar 6, 2004, 5:39 PM   #8

I donít see anything at all you were doing wrong in the first place after seeing your print size.

This might sound like a waste considering you have the best image editor on the market, but download the free Irfanview. www.irfanview.com I associate all my image types to Irfanview but you might prefer to not do that. Take an image straight from the camera and print it from Irfanview. After you OK your printer settings it will then display the Irfanview print box. Just select ďbest to fit pageĒ Ė Irfanview should know it is a 4 X 6 printer and should show the space either portrait or landscape according to what was set in the printer dialog box.

If the Irfanview print is good we will know there is a problem in the Photoshop workflow. If the Irfanview print is poor we will know there is something in the printer settings need working on.

That is a simple printer and evidently not designed for profiles and such. The camera sends the image as sRGB.