Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:28 PM   #1

Default Help me choose software

Hi, I have just switched over to digital photoraphy from film. I will like help choosing editing software. Right now I am getting nice prints however I can not fine tune the print enough. I am currently using a trail version of ACDsee. I can not adjust the color by units, I would like to be able to adjust a print +3 units of magenta and -2 blue. I am use to correcting my prints with an enlarger and not a computer so, I will like help choosing. Right now Photoshop CS is out of my budget. Is there a good alernative or should I wait until I can afford Photoshop. I am getting nice prints but the are not gallery quality they are a tiny bit of color. Also, now the only editing I am doing is color and perhaps contrast. With film I learned to correct before the image goes on film. So, my software does not have to do that much just good print control.
Please help
Chris
CSF1353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:53 PM   #2

JASC Paint Shop Pro vers.8 or Adobe Photo Shop Elements 2 should serve your purpose very well. Either can be bought for less than $100. I have both, but use Paint Shop Pro the most as I am more familiar with it having had the previous versions. It can also do more graphical stuff ( which I never do) while Elements 2 is for digital photography (lacking the graphical features of Photoshop CS.
MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:10 PM   #3

I vote for Photoshop Elements. It's cheap, it's a very capable program, and it will put you way ahead on the learning curve for when you get Photoshop CS. It will do most of the stuff an amateur photographer will need; the extra stuff in CS is higher end stuff for more professional pictures.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 4:35 PM   #4

Photoshop elements is the way to go..

If you want to try another free one then http://www.irfanview.com/ has a great free program that is handy for quick changes and viewing. Nice thing is that it is totally free. It will allow you to do RGB adjustments in steps and batch process.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 5:57 PM   #5

PhotoImpact, Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Elements will do well. Elements is a little hobbled compared to the others because Adobe wants you to pay the big bucks for the full Photoshop, but it is still a competent image editor. There are some good deals on PhotoImpact 7 on Ebay and probably the same for PSP7. They are both very capable although a newer version of each is now out. But for $15 you can have full control of your editing with either.

Irfanview is a free viewer. It isnít an image editor any more than ACDSee. It is a great viewer and does lots of neat stuff, but it isnít anywhere near what could be called an image editor. Nor will it do what you are asking. Irfanview, like ACDSee adjusts only RGB and not magenta. ACDSee is probably a little better than Irfanview for that kind of stuff, but neither are image editors.

Photoshop for example will adjust just the magenta for about 8 parameters with a wide range of settings for each parameter. That gives you an idea of the difference between an image editor and something like ACDSee.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:21 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice.
It sounds like all 3 image editors would be a good and fit my needs.

However, how much is a parameter I am use to printing from slides and negetives. So, would 8 parameters of magenta be same as 8 units of magenta when printing from a slide? Also, can I adjust how much a parameter is?
The important thing for me is not how much I can adjust but how little.

Thank You
Chris
CSF1353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 5:23 PM   #7

Default what do you think of Photofiltre 5.6?

I am also new to digital photography and wanted to get started with a decent free software.
I found this one and I am enjoying it a lot:
http://www.photofiltre.com/

Am I missing much by using it?

I also know of another freeware: Photoplus 5.5. I have not tried it though.

Thanks
jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 6:42 PM   #8

Has anyone tried GIMP the free editing programme?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 1:41 PM   #9

I use the Gimp all the time. Now there is a good stable version for windows. It's free and if you need a book you can go to gimp-savvy.org. There is a book, "Grokking the Gimp." for free. At the bookstore, the same book is $45.00.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
I use the Gimp all the time. Now there is a good stable version for windows. It's free and if you need a book you can go to gimp-savvy.org. There is a book, "Grokking the Gimp." for free. At the bookstore, the same book is $45.00.
Cheaper at Amazon - that is where the link at http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/ goes if you click on the "Buy the Book" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp-savvy
Alternatively, you can download a non-JavaScript version of the entire
book to your own computer as an HTML tarball. The file is
approximately 27 MB and can be downloaded from <a
href="http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/TarDist/">
Wish they sold the book as HTML on CD - I am not even going to try think about downloading it at 26.4K bps. Did take a look at their section on layer masks and it is very clear. Much better than Adobe's PS documentation.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote