Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 8, 2016, 1:55 AM   #1

Default A Question re- usage of RAW image software

G'day all

1) I am just wondering ...

With a RAW image processing bit of software product called "SilkyPix" coming free with just about every digital camera these days ...

Does anyone here use it?

and if not ...
2) What RAW processing software do people use?

Thanks Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2016, 5:49 AM   #2

I use the software that came from Sony with my A-550 for the rare times I shoot in RAW.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016, 5:53 PM   #3

G'day OBG

Thanks for your reply. Does this product have a name?

Can others here also help with a reply as well?

Thanks, Phil
Old May 9, 2016, 7:57 PM   #4

Hi Phil, I use Corel PaintShop Pro, I did try Sony Image Data Converter that came with the Nex but it wasn't very useful and probably only works with .ARW files.

Mike
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016, 9:30 PM   #5

The Sony product is the Image Data Converter. It has worked for me the few times I have used it but almost never shoot in RAW so someone with more experence than I would have to comment as to overall function. JimC is the one who got me pointed in the right direction so would be the one I would ask were I you. The Sony software has always done what I have asked of it so might be worth a try. It is all freeware so nothing lost but a bit of time to try it out.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016, 7:09 AM   #6

Hi, Phil;
I have done a little with Raw processing now and then, but can't say I'm completely up-to-date.
One interesting item I found with my Fuji X-S1, is that the Silkypix software packaged with the camera has a couple things built in that some other Raw processors don't. One of them is lens distortion correction, and another is the proper algorithm for the Fuji sensor.
When processing the Fuji pix with others, they show up as just 6MP, but the Silkypix converts them to the full 12MP. I also see considerable lens distortion at wide angles when using other converters. Don't know if they are all that way, though.
That's just the Fuji, though.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016, 3:25 PM   #7

Thanks fellas

I've been playing with the Silkypix SE version that comes free with the camera [all of the Panny + the Fuji + the Pentax] and have found some interesting stuff

I have also downloaded their version-7 '30-day trial' to see what it's all about

I am also interested to see what others here use - one reads about Lightroom ... Lightroom & more Lightroom and I pondered whether that was a) more comprehensive, &/or b) better than others in the market

Phil
Old May 11, 2016, 8:52 PM   #8

Hey Phil you may want to think about the bigger picture when considering what RAW editor to consider.

First off, I'm not the best one to answer your question. I have never used sillypix or even looked at it.

I have used Adobe Photoshop Elements 4,6 and 8. iPhoto,the new Photo's from Apple. The software that came with my Minolta 5D and two Sony image processors. I am currently using Apple Aperture and looking for my next processor/library to store my 25,000+ images in. Apple has decided to no longer support aperture.

I can say that I see no reason to NOT process in raw. Every raw processor I've used will automatically export your image in whatever format you like. So with aperture as an example I import, process, save. When I export it automatically converts it to jpeg in full, 50%, 1024x1024 and more.

[IMG]

You get so much more "room for error" for correcting wrong exposure that I almost always shoot raw. The exception is using the 16-50 e-mount lens. The e-mount lenses show a lot of distortion at wide angles and the cameras use in camera correction in jpeg. Most raw processors now have a way to correct lens distortion within the processor with a raw file.

With that being said Corel AfterShot Pro and Capture One Pro seem to be favorites amongst a lot of photographers who don't choose the most popular editor, Lightroom.

One related issue that I consider extremely important is managing all your photo's. Your Library or DAM.

See below.

Stand alone digital asset manager (DAM)?

I believe that there are advantages with noise reduction with shooting raw also.

Your probably aware of all this stuff already but maybe someone who reads this is not.

Did you try Sillypix?
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2016, 5:08 PM   #9

G'day Mike

You ask ... did I use Silkypix?

Yes - quite impressed by it & its seemingly smart set of options & tricks
I've got a lot more to discover as well

Phil
Old May 13, 2016, 10:55 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
[snip]
With that being said Corel AfterShot Pro and Capture One Pro seem to be favorites amongst a lot of photographers who don't choose the most popular editor, Lightroom.
Note that Corel has just released AfterShot Pro 3, with more features.

See the article about it we just published here:

Introducing Corel Aftershot Pro 3, the latest Update to the "World's Fastest" Raw Converter and Image Management Software

Scroll down in the article until right before the included Press Release, and you'll see a link I included for a promo special, where you can get it for S44.99 right this minute (I got an e-mail about it that included a link to promo pricing, and we included it in the news blurp about it).

This link:

http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/produ...aign=16-05-12|

It's still very fast, too (up to 4 times as fast as Adobe Lightroom) with downloads available for OS X, Windows and Linux.

I admit that I'm a bit biased, as I've been using this product for years, starting when it was Bibble Pro, long before Corel acquired it and renamed it to AfterShot Pro.

I keep my computers setup in multi-boot configurations (for example, with both Linux and Windows installed, so that I select the Operating System I want to use each time I restart a PC). So, a product that works with OS X, Linux and Windows is very attractive to me.

Try it and see what you think, as you can install a trial version that works for 30 days without buying it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote