Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:46 AM   #1

Default JPG to MPG to VCD

I'm sure this is an easy question.

I want to turn my JPG files into a MPG movie and then burn it to a VCD so that my non-techincal parents/grandparents can see my vacation photos.

I have NERO 5.0 and have compiled a test VCD. Firstly, the VCD was recognized but the resulting slide show was just grey scale and rolled. I think there is a NSTC/PAL switch that I didn't use or something. Secondly, I would like to add a sound track and Nero doesn't do that.

What are my choices of software to do this. What I want is to put together a slide show with fades between pictures and add a sound track.

Oh, and I looked at the product description for Nero 5.5 and I don't think I can do the JPG to MPG any better with the newer version.

[Edited on 8-28-2002 by Michael_Adkins]
Michael_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2002, 11:27 AM   #2

think this is an easy way.

http://www.dazzle.com/products/sixinone.htm
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 2:27 PM   #3

Nice looking product for not much more money than just the reader hardware.

However, it doesn't do wipes/fades between pictures (or at least not configurable) and you cannot add a soundtrack.

Nice for what you get though.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 4:37 PM   #4

check this out,
Gary

http://nct.digitalriver.com/0024/base_0024_1.html
Old Aug 29, 2002, 9:43 AM   #5

That might work. You look at the hardware/software solution and the implication is that you can manipulate JPGs.

You read the software only solution, and it seems much more vague. Its worth taking a look at the demo version though.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:04 AM   #6

Michael,

I use Nero 5.5.3 and I'm just now finding out all it will do. I had asked some questions about this software and was essentially told that it probably wouldn't do what I wanted.

I do not convert my jpgs to mpg first.

I use the Video CD option. If you want to retain the ability to make prints from your vcd then make sure you check the 'retain pictures in...' box. Select the jpgs you want to copy and drag them into the burn window. After you get them there select all and right click. Select properties and set the view duration time to your desired time. I usually use 5 seconds. If you do not set the view duration it will still work, but you will have to push play each time to move from shot to shot, however if you set this it will play like a slide show.

This will make a vcd that will play on any DVD hooked to a TV that I (and others) have tried. It does make mpg files but they are stored with the file extension of .dat rather than mpg (or so I've been told). Your jpgs will be stored in a folder called Pictures. You or any digital photo processor should be able to open these files and make prints.

I've not added any audio tracks but I do not know why it could not be added. I never intended to add music. I only wanted a cd that could be viewed in a DVD player and used as a photo cd. My permant archives are both in a photo format to make prints from and a slide show format, all in the same burning process.

I do not think that Nero 5.0 has this capibility. I think you've got to go to at least 5.5.3 or Express. I also don't know why your first vcd was grey scale unless the conversion to mpg first caused some problem.

ar

[Edited on 9-4-2002 by A Ridge]
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:25 AM   #7

Mike,
got the basic bundled onDVD free with $10 CF adapter, posted pic of it in 16.9. there was a deluxe version but has been repaced by a 2.0 for $20. May order that today, saves pics 2x on disk, even basic. Mindless to use.
Gary
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by A Ridge
Michael,

I use Nero 5.5.3 and I'm just now finding out all it will do. I had asked some questions about this software and was essentially told that it probably wouldn't do what I wanted.

I do not convert my jpgs to mpg first.

I use the Video CD option. If you want to retain the ability to make prints from your vcd then make sure you check the 'retain pictures in...' box. Select the jpgs you want to copy and drag them into the burn window. After you get them there select all and right click. Select properties and set the view duration time to your desired time. I usually use 5 seconds. If you do not set the view duration it will still work, but you will have to push play each time to move from shot to shot, however if you set this it will play like a slide show.

This will make a vcd that will play on any DVD hooked to a TV that I (and others) have tried. It does make mpg files but they are stored with the file extension of .dat rather than mpg (or so I've been told). Your jpgs will be stored in a folder called Pictures. You or any digital photo processor should be able to open these files and make prints.

I've not added any audio tracks but I do not know why it could not be added. I never intended to add music. I only wanted a cd that could be viewed in a DVD player and used as a photo cd. My permant archives are both in a photo format to make prints from and a slide show format, all in the same burning process.

I do not think that Nero 5.0 has this capibility. I think you've got to go to at least 5.5.3 or Express. I also don't know why your first vcd was grey scale unless the conversion to mpg first caused some problem.

ar

[Edited on 9-4-2002 by A Ridge]
I have no clue why it came out badly. I have upgraded to Nero 5.5 and have burned another CD. I will test it at a friends house soon.

I did not convert the files to MPG first. Apparently not necessary with NERO.

Since each file is a separate track, you cannot overlay sound that continues un-interrupted from pic to pic. FOr that, you would have to convert to MPEG first.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 11:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Senkus
Mike,
got the basic bundled onDVD free with $10 CF adapter, posted pic of it in 16.9. there was a deluxe version but has been repaced by a 2.0 for $20. May order that today, saves pics 2x on disk, even basic. Mindless to use.
Gary
So, with onDVD, you can make a Mpeg of jpgs and add sound? Cool!

Where did you get the reader for $10.00? Nice way to get cheap software.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 3:16 AM   #10

Mike,
The "BASIC" bundled version just a tease have to get $20 (full retail price) for sound, hopefully also transitions. going to price shop for the 2.0. Best price out thier for readers is $9. Only got CF adapter with onDVD.
Gary