Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 28, 2004, 9:58 PM   #1

Default basic photo-editor for grandma?

My mother will be needing a very basic photo editing program. Essentially one that will make simple corrections and nothing creative. Anyone have any suggestions?
She's running xp.

She could get easily overwhelmed with too many options and guess who'd she be calling...yep! No, No, No! Can't have that. She calls enough with other questions regarding computers & peripherals. Ugh. Wouldn't be so bad but I usually wind up having to go to her house and show her how to do what she wants to do.

So, the simpler...the better :lol:
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:16 PM   #2

Go to the Kodak site and download their free software ... very basic but works and is pretty easy
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:19 PM   #3

Default Re: basic photo-editor for grandma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by informativetoo
My mother will be needing a very basic photo editing program. Essentially one that will make simple corrections and nothing creative. Anyone have any suggestions?
She's running xp.
I gather that Paint Shop Pro 7 is available cheaply as outdated stock from various places. If she gets that you need to point her at only one menu item...

"Effects | Enhance Photo"

Under that are "Automatic Colour Balance," "Automatic Contrast enhancement" and "Automatic Saturation Enhancement", with simple 3-level controls for each, e.g., "darker, normal, lighter" or "weak, normal, strong".

If I'm in a hurry I use no other.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:58 PM   #4

Thank you ohenry & Alan! I just took a look on the Kodak site and I do believe it would be right up my mom's alley. An easy, clean interface too.

Alan, I typically would tell every newbie to purchase PSP 7.04/8
I highly recommend it, too.
However, what would happen if my mother got at the helm is; she would invariably start hitting buttons and end up with something she didn't want, get overwhelmed, angry...call me up and I'd get an earful, followed by a silent and expectant request to get down there and work it out for her. :?

The Kodak appears to be a simple program that will keep her focused, "contained" and thus content. :lol:
It looks like the choices will fill her needs to a T. I will download it for her the next I'm there.

Thanks to you both for your responses. As always, I appreciate it.

Sincerely,
~Kate
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote