Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 2, 2004, 1:13 PM   #1
suz

Ok here I go again.

I did find out that Photoshop Elements will not bring in RAW images. Now I have a new problem.

I used to use a Powershot S30, I took my pictures in jpeg, brought them into the computer via Elements and saved them on D (burned onto cd) to save valuable computer space.

I recently received my 10D and have been taking a lot of pictures in RAW format. Since Elements will not let me bring RAW images in, I have been using File Viewer that came will my camera. I then convert them to Tiff, but, File Viewer, unlike Elements will not let me save to D. Is there a way?

Any suggestions? Any reason why I should not be saving my files directly onto the cd? If I upgrade to Photoshop CS, is it going to let me save to D?

I do not save every picture I take, nor do I take all shots in RAW, but even so, as a junkie I am wondering how long my computer space is going to last if I do not have this option.

Thanks Again......The Problem Child,

Suz

suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2004, 8:04 AM   #2

You have a couple of options here. One, you can upgrade to Photoshop CS and be able to convert RAW images to TIFF and save them anywhere on your computer. Another option would be to purchase Capture One or Breezebrowser software to do your RAW conversions and continue to use Elements as your editing software. Obviously, shooting your images in JPG mode is always a consideration. You can download a fully operational trial version of CS, Capture One, and Breezebrowser from their respective sites.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 7:36 PM   #3
suz

O'henry,

Thanks for the reply! I went to Adobe and tried to download CS but after it started to download it said it would take 40 hours. . Any suggestionson the cheapest place to buy it.

Thank goodness for you. You alway answer all my questions. I am going to start calling you "Yoda" oh wise one.

Suz

suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 8:22 PM   #4

Oh please! Yoda is much better looking and far wiser.:P

B&H Photo had the lowest price when I bought mine last December. www.bhphotovideo.com

Also check www.amazon.com and www.newegg.com for their prices.

It's NOT cheap wherever you shop though (but it IS a great program). 40 hours...must be on dialup :?

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 12:59 PM   #5

If you have any kind of school or college ID you can get the educational price ~$300
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 5:40 AM   #6

LTBerry,

Do you know whatthe proceedureis for purchasing Photoshop CS at the reduced price of ~$300?

Canyou go through Adobe directly or through retail outlets?

Thanks for any info you can share!!!!
lauricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 5:53 PM   #7

Saving to D is a very inefficient way to put your images on a CD. Each time you write it makes a session on the CD which takes about 14Mb of space for the lead-in for the next session.

Your best bet is to make a folder named something like "Image CD #5" and save your images to the folder until you accumulate about 680Mb or so. Open the folder and go Edit>Select all. Right click on one of the highlighted images and select "Copy". Right click on your D drive and select "Paste". That way you can write them all at once without the wasted space for the separate sessions.

You can also just drag the whole folder to the D drive, but to read the CD you have to open the folder.

If you get CS the most efficient way to archive is to leave them in raw. Raw is much more efficient than TIFF and is more versatile. I would archive the raw files to CD even if you don't get CS and also archive in TIFF or JPG. At some future date you will probably regret not saving the original raw files if you don't.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 9:11 PM   #8

lauricel wrote:
Quote:
LTBerry,

Do you know whatthe proceedureis for purchasing Photoshop CS at the reduced price of ~$300?

Canyou go through Adobe directly or through retail outlets?

Thanks for any info you can share!!!!
If you go to www.adobe.com and click on Purchase -> Other Ways to Buy you will find an Education resellerslink. That will give you local and mailorder ways of getting it.

Also the college bookstores will usuallycarry it.

Prices are about 1/2 the list price for Adobe products.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 5:46 AM   #9

Thanks CastleDude........I'll check into it !!!!!
lauricel is offline   Reply With Quote