Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 12, 2004, 10:18 PM   #1

My new computer included a suite of ULead products, including PhotoImpact 8 SE. I'm new to digital photgraphy and still photo editing (I have experience withvideo editing). I've struggledto get a grip on using this program, although I've only spent about 3+ hours simply trying to get red-eye out of a picture of our cat. The red-eye tool - when I did finally find it-is geared for round pupils, not eliptical. PI8seems robust, but for my first couple of efforts it seemed overlyclunky and notintuitive.The multi-PDFs for the owners manual is a lot to wade through and- like most software instructions -lacks alogical flow andprocedural "How do I" index and instructions for basic things like red-eye reduction, simple cropping & dodging, minor color correction, glare reductions etc. To me those kinds of things should preceedentertaining more sophisticated layout,content, and layering effects.

Is it just me? Anybody have experience with this program - can I ever learn to do basic stuff without having to take a year lgetting that far?

I just bought the Canon i960 printer but haven't had time to set it up yet. From comments I've seen in these forums, I wonder if its sofware is more intuitive and adept at basic stuff?

I'm sure open to tutorial ideas for PI8, other inexpensive software options,and opinions if I should stick it out with my freebie PI8 - maybe I'm just slow.

Thanks,

-Doug-
KCDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 10:40 PM   #2

Photoimpact is not easy to use initially .. But it is very very powerful. The only program that rivals it is Photoshop.

This programis written by team that originally wrote Photoshop (called Photostyler).

go here and run through a few tutorials http://www.ulead.com/learning/pi.htm

I am not sure what the LE version disables but the full version is great. I have Photoshop CS and am transistioning to it but still fall back to Photoimpact whenever I need to get something done and quick.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 12:30 PM   #3

Thanks for your encouragement. I've downloaded & reviewed 9 tutorial videos as well as having the PDF manual. Still doesn't provide anything about "how-to" do many things.

I have a new problem. The EZ Print software that came with the Canon printer is good for simplebasic non-edited printing. I am trying to learn/usePI8 and have two immediate problems that I can't find plain english steps to resolve:

1.I can't seem totry to format/print borderless 4x6pics in PI8. When doing print preview I get a warning message that says the picture won't fit on the paper and to increase my resolution. (Which Iunderstand packs thepixels closer together, thereby reducing the picture size). Resolution adjustment is mentioned in the user's manual and one of the tutorials, but I still cannot get the resolution to enable a full 6"in the print preview - it seems to get no further than about 4 x 5.5". Why am I having this problem in PI8, but not in the basic printer software, and how the heck can I get this to work out? If I ever get this to work, can I set up up PI8 for borderless printingfortheKodak Ultima 4x6.5" paper,for 5x7, or other sizes? The resolution adjustment dialog box is also a bit confusing (and not clarified in the manual), I can chose resolution for printer, display or custom. Which is which? I think the custom comes closest, but I still can't get a full 6" on the preview.

2. I have some outdoor family pictures that are marred by shadows stripping across faces. I can't figure out how to resolve that in PI8. Surely this is a fairly common problem, but I can't find any step-by-step procedure for reducing/eliminating them. Do you have any experience with this - or can you point me to helpful step-by-step learning resources?

Thanks for help!
KCDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 11:10 AM   #4

Problem 2 is easier to address so I'll do it first:
If the shadows are minor just use levels to fix them up.
Bring up the picture then select Format -> Level
You will see a histogram so drag the left and right sliders in to the middle under the first spot where you see data on the hystogram. Now move the middle over to the left see where it is pleasant. Usually this will be a little to the right of a big hump.

If the shadows are more extreme (like a falloff from a flash) it is a little trickier but still pretty easy. Create a new layer fill it with a grey gradiant darkest in the light parts and lighter in the shadowed areas. Nowright click and set the layer to be a soft light use transparency to clean it up. If the shadow areas are complicated then use the filter to create a duotone image and use that as a grey mask (same softlight) and erase areas you don't want altered.

Don't forget you have autoprocess options for levels also.

------------------------------------------------------------

Problem 1 is not that bad either.

Don't worry about the resolution just take your picture and clean it up.Now pull out the calculator and figure out what a 4x6 image will be in pixels.

Example my camera puts out 2304x1728. I divide the 2304/6 and get 384 now I divide 1728/384 and get 4.5. I will need to trim off .5 inches to get a borderless 4x6 so you need to make a selection square 2304x1536 and move it around to the spot and do a crop. Alternatively you can create a blank image with the 2304x1536 size and then paste the bigger image into it. Scoot it around until it looks right and use that as the printable image.

I'll be honest at this point I usually save the picture and just print it using the Canon software (it works easier that way). If you get real 4x6 paper then the Canon will allow you to do the cropping right in the software. The only thing wrong with the Canon software is a lack of support for non-Canon sized paper.

To print it from PI8 you need to go into the advanced options for the Canon driver and set up a profile for a borderless print. Then set Photoimpact to the correct size then fit to page. The preview will show a border but the driver will stretch it out. When you turn on borderless there is a slider tab to get it to fit so it will take you a few tries but once you get it you can save the settings as a named profile in the Canon driver.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote