Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old May 15, 2004, 2:54 AM   #1

Greetings:
As has been suggested I convert the jpegs from the camera (Oly E-10)shot in SHQ mode to tif in PS6. Before the conversion the res is 144, but after it is 72, but not always. First question: will this make any diference in the printed quality, all other things being equal? Second if I change this back to 144 will this improve the quality of the print? I mean if I made two prints same size everything the same except this resolution change, would there be a noticeable difference, assuming this to be a large size print say 8.5 x 11? Sorry if I am asking this wrong, but I hope I made myself clear-
tech type is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2004, 7:57 AM   #2

To make a print 8.5"x11" using all 2240x1680 of the camera's pixels (neglecting cropping to aspect ratio), you will want 197.64705 pixels per inch. Until you print, that number has no meaning whatsoever.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 2:05 PM   #3

Bill's right - you should be more concerned with the dimensions of the picture in pixels rather than pixels per inch. When you print, you should convert it to the native resolution (dpi) of the printer, if possible. If not, the printer software will figure it out for you.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 1:26 AM   #4

Thanx guys for your responses. I decided to test by printing. I converted a 72 pixels/inch tif to 144 pixels/inch then saved it w/different name; cropped both of them to the same part of the image, and printed them the same size. I can definitely see a difference. But my orignal question is why would photoshop automatically change the resolution from 144 to 72. When I opened the original from the camera it was a 144 ppi jpeg. I saved it as a tiff-doing nothing else. The result was a 72ppi tiff.
Any thoughts on this? BTW this was PS7...
tech type is offline   Reply With Quote