Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:07 PM   #1

I shoot my pictures with an Olympus C5050Z and have an HP 7960 Photosmart printer. Both seem to work fine. But if I crop or resize one of my digital images in either PainShop Pro 7.0 or Adobe Elements 1.0 the resulting picture has very jagged edges. If I use the image editing program that came with the printer (very under powered and not user friendly) the pictures print stunningly. This seems most prevelant when printing borderless pictures, but not always. Any advise would be appreciated.

:??
herbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2004, 9:29 PM   #2

What ppi are you using when you print from PSP or Elements? Are you enlarging the image to fit the paper? Resizing pictures will cause problems if you're not doing it correctly. Tell us the procedure you're using that causes the jagged edges and maybe someone can assist.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 6:52 AM   #3
AMG

you got me... cropping should give no problem, re-sizing, if you are making bigger is not a good idea, but edges shouldn't be affected. Is there any way you can post some samples of the pic at various stages and I'll try and help.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:02 PM   #4

Here's what I do and what happens. In Photoshop Elements I start off by opening one of my images from my C5050 that I have shot at SHQ resolution. If I pick resize from the image tab on the menu bar the resulting dialog box shows me the pixel dimensions of 2272W and 1704H. The document size is 31.556X23.667. I usually will change the document size to say 8X10. I let let the height change automatically as I change the width. When I print the pictures everything is jaggy. Leaves on the trees look unreal and edges seem to show more jaggyness than some other parts of the image. I woul gladly post a couple of picture for you to look at if I knew how. Sure could use some good solid advise
herbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:08 AM   #5

Hi

When you set the crop size, you have to set the resolution as well -say Width 10", Height 8", resolution 300ppi. 300 is the standard for printing. You can set this in the toolbar at the top of the screen in Elements.

If you use Image>Resize, make sure the 'Resample Image' box is ticked, and that you set the resolution to 300 before you set the width or height.

HTH

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote