Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:01 PM   #1

I just started scanning old family Kodachromes with the Nikon 8000 and Photoshop 7.0 and have a baffling problem. The first day of doing this, everything was fine. Now today, many of the Photoshop menu items are grayed out. For instance, after importing the scanned image, everything is grayed out under the LAYER menu, . Under SHARPEN menu, only 4 choices are there - one of them being SHARPENING. Under that submenu, only UNSHARP MASK is there. This wasn't the case on the first day.

I initially did the scanning by opening PSP, then used Photoshop's IMPORT menuwhich accesses the Nikon software through PSP. I didn't save the file first. I just worked directly off the imported image. I'm doing the same thing today.

Then I tried opening the Nikon software on its own and scanning that way and the same thing happened. Then I tried scanning with the Nikon software, saving as a TIF file before loading into PSP and same thing happens. Every scanned image today is doing this.

Any other JPG, TIF or PSD files already on my computer (many of which were scanned with same scanner) when loaded into PSP is fine.

Any clues or suggestions?
proton777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:21 PM   #2

Are you scanning at 16 bit? Many of the options are not available in 16 bit mode.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:38 PM   #3

You are brilliant, my friend. Just tried doing a scan at 8 bit and voila! All the menus are back. I couldn't figure out what the heck was happening. I scanned a slide 8 times hoping everything would eventually come back.

It's too bad one can't take full advantage of the scanner's capabilities. I wonder how much you give up on a larger print when scanning at 8 bit vs. the maximum 14.

So you have to choose between 8 bit with fully editing capabilites vs. 14 bit with limited editing and no layers?

Anyway, thanks for the fast response Ohenry. I can sleep well tonight

Tony
Old Jun 19, 2004, 6:14 AM   #4

Tony

You will get most of the missing menu items in 16 bit if you upgrade to CS.

In the meantime, I would still scan at 16, then use Image>Mode>8 Bits - Photoshop generally does a better job of interpolation than the scanner.

Hth

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:22 AM   #5

Great tip, Brian. I'll give it try on my next batch. Thanks for the suggestion.