Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:47 PM   #1

I am trying to get a high resolution shot of a building that can be used for a print ad. When I go int o photoshop the resoultion of the image says 150 at nearly all settings... The ad requires 300 resolution.. How can I get this when my resoltion is set to the highest on my G2.. Yes, I am confused.. Can I just change the resolution to 300 in photoshop???

knockem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:02 PM   #2

You can change that to whatever number you want with no resampling. It will make no difference whatsoever to your image until you print.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:03 PM   #3

ok so if I take a picture at the highest resolution my camera has and I change the resolution in PS to 300, It will be the best picture for an ad... Correct? On the other hand, if i take a pix with the lowest resolution and I change it to 300 resolution, wouldn't it be grainy.... BTW is there a website wher I can read about all this... Thanks
knockem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:59 AM   #4
Administrator

Your G2 has a maximum image size of 2272x1704 pixels. The Pixels Per Inch (PPI) in a printed photo, depends on the size you need to print. This has nothing to do with what you are seeing as dpi in Photoshop.

The largest print you can make at 300 Pixels Per Inch with your G2 (without resampling the image) is approximately 7.57" x 5.68"

2272 Pixels / 300 Pixels Per Inch = 7.57" inches

1704 Pixels /300 Pixels Per inch= 5.68" inches

See my responsein this thread, for examples of computing Pixels Per Inch, charts that you may find helpful for computing ppi at various print sizes, etc:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:10 AM   #5

If you uncheck the "Resample Image" box while changing the resolution (pixels/inch or pixels/cm) it will make no change whatsoever to your image!!. It will only change a number stored in the EXIF data associated with that image.

That number will tell your printer how large to print the image. If you have an image that is 2400 pixels wide with 300 pixels/inch, the print will be 8". At 150 pixels/inch, the print will be 16". There will be no change in the image itself.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:13 AM   #6
Administrator

P.S.

If you will need to print an image at 300 Pixels Per Inch, that is larger than your camera is capable of (maximum size of 7.57" x 5.68" at 300 ppi), you can interpolate the image to a larger size.

Interpolation adds pixels, based on the value of adjacent pixels. This willNOT increase the detail captured (which is limited by your camera's resolution). However, it will add more pixels. This allows printing at larger sizes. If you don't tell them the image was captured by a Digital Camera and interpolatedup toa larger size, they may not notice or care.

You can use the popular BiCubic Interpolation (in many editing packages) to perform this resampling (interpolating) of an image to make it larger. Many users advocate performing this interpolation in small steps to miminize degradation (increase size 10%, increase another 10%, etc.).

Personally, I use the Lanczos Algorithm in Irfanview (downloadable from http://www.irfanview.com ). You'll find this option under the Image, Resize/Resample menu.

You'll also find a dedicated forum on Resizing/Interpolation here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=70

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:40 PM   #7

Thank you very much for all this info.. I am going to read all of this and try to understand it. If I have any more ??? I will post soon... Thank you again, you guys are great!!
dominion is offline   Reply With Quote