Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:53 AM   #1

In the Canon 10D you can switch to Adobe RGB mode...however, when you open those images in Photoshop they enter as "untagged". Has anyone figured out why? You have to assign a profile to the image manually.
jeff51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 3:43 PM   #2

I believe this is just considered an overside or bug.
I know that Canon offered a firmward upgrade for the camera, but I don't remember if it fixed this or not.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:10 PM   #3

It is not a bug or an oversight.

Canon does not embed the Adobe RGB profile in RAW files. RAW files do not have an generic RGB color space. Nor are they converted to one. When you shoot an image with the Adobe RGB parameter setting, the Canon DSLRs assign a metadata tag. It is up to the RAW converter to read the tag and use the information.

If you use ACR II in PS CS, when the image is loaded into PS CS, the profile for whichever color space you select is embedded.

As with WB, you can change your mind when you preview the image in the RAW converter and change to a different color space without adversely affecting the image in any way.

Cheers,

Mitch
gmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 7:01 AM   #4

Good morning,

Many thanks for the notes....I forgot to mention this happens when I'm shooting in large (or any size) .jpeg mode...does that info help? Some initial consensus is that lots of cohorts who I asked were also unaware of this, but we did know about the .raw files not being assigned already...thanks for that clarification.

So, any thoughts on why they are not embedded in .jpeg's?

Jeff
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:13 AM   #5

Well, sometimes I forget to check my manuals....

The offical Canon 10D instruction book answer to my question about why Canon 10D images don't show up with an Adobe RGB tag when opened in Photoshop is on page 58....it appears the settings do change to Adobe RGB, but no ICC profile is appended as noted in the page 58 footnotes...interesting...

Thank you for working with me on this question.... I'd be interested in any other notes you all might have on this....tonight I'll do an sRGBG vs. Adobe RGB test, open them both side by side in PS, and see if the Adobe RGB images actually papear different...

Jeff
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:21 AM   #6

There will be differences if you nopen both in an application that is not color managed or you open them both in the same color space.

If you open both in their respective color spaces, the only difference will be out-of-gamut colors (colors in one color space that are outside the other's color space).

Cheers,

Mitch
gmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:28 AM   #7

The interesting thing about all of this is that on the 10D if you do want to set up a set of paramters for increased, or decresed sat/contrast/etc. you are forced to go back to sRGB, so ultimately if I can't see any real difference in my general shots in sRGB vs. Adobe RGB spaces then I may occasionally switch back and forth in the future so I can use the custom parameters setting more effectively (which I have avoided for the last 15 months since I got the camera). Does anyone know why the parameters can't be changed when in Adobe RGB mode?

Has anyone used the custom parameters to specifically solve a problem or improve a fdertain type of shot? Normally, I leave everything set to null and do all my changes in PSCS, but I'm curious if anyone thinks Canon's 10D consistently needs a boost or cut anywhere?

Jeff

Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:00 AM   #8

Hi

I did hear a rumour that the Adobe 1998 tag was not attached because of a disagreement between Canon and Adobe over licensing. The file is for all practical purposes Adobe RGB 1998, its just that they eare not allowed to attach the tag - you have to do that in PS.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote