Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:28 PM   #1

I have used PSP for years and have loved the way the program provides Photoshop-like capabilities for a fraction of the cost. That said, I also use Photoshop Elements 2.0 asthere are things it does that can be done in PSP but with more difficulty. Recently, I've been thinking of taking the plunge and investing in a purchased copy of Photoshop CS. But now comes Jasc with a new PSP version with new and very interesting features and I therefore have to reconsider my plans.

The new PSP, version 9.0, can be downloaded as a public beta valid for 90 days. The feature that immediately caught my eye was that they now include a noise removal capability in the program. I had been using NeatImage to do noise removal from my images. However, after trying out the PSP noise removal I'd have to say that it seems to do as good of a job as NeatImage. There aren't as many tunable parameters in the PSP version but I never did fool too much with most of the parameters anyway.

If anyone else decides to try the PSP 9.0 beta out I'd be interested in hearing of what they thought about the new capabilities.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2004, 4:01 PM   #2

Saw your post and went to download the beta but it's windows only my pc smoked itself a month ago and was talked into getting a mac as it was supposed to do graphic work better, that may or may not be the case but software is a bit of a problem still thanks anyway the program looks very good and those extra features would make me go the psp 9 way
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 4:36 PM   #3

Too bad Jasc doesn't make a Mac version but it must not be worthwhile for them to spend the development dollars to do it - just not enough Mac users relative to PC users.

You know, it's not too expensive to just replace your motherboard and still use the peripherals from your old pc...
Old Aug 9, 2004, 3:56 PM   #4

I did take it for repair but motherboard, cpu, graphics card and hard drive fried, power surge i think have anti surge on my mac now..... you live and learn
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 4:20 PM   #5

Ouch! Quite a power glitch you had. Sorry to hear about that. Well, cheap but decent computers can be had from Dell these days, although I'm not sure what they'd ding you for overseas purchases.