Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:59 AM   #1

I shoot on high resolution on my camera (Sony Dsc F717) and the pics are great!
I reduce them to print and for web use. Usually 5x7 about 2000 x 1300. My dilema is that Like on the attached photo the machine will crop part of the picture off (on this pic the top of the atena and the branch at the bottom).It is a sizing issue realated to height.I take them to Walgreens ( I actually work there as a Manager so I am in the lab some). I know it is an editing. We have a new Fuji machine but the same issue occured on the old "Masterflex" machine.

I use Adobe elements. What can I do to get the full photo printed?

Thanks for the help!

Trique Daddi
Attached Images

Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:19 AM   #2

It appears you have already cropped the picture to almost a square. To get a 5 X 7 ratio without distortion you have to lose pixels from the top and bottom.

I'm not sure Photoshop works like Elements, but here is what you would do in Photoshop:
Open the original full image.
Select the Crop tool.
Put 7in in the width and 5in in height (or the other way round).
Put nothing in the PPI box.
Crop the image with the crop constrained to 7:5.

You can resize for web use but I would use all of the remaining pixels for printing. You can see what PPI you ended up with by going to Image>Image size. You will have plenty for printing a 5 X 7 unless you do some extreme cropping.

If Elements doesn't let you constrain the crop to a set ratio I would use this freeware: http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dyn...2FJPEGCrops%2F Use the full sized original image and not something you have already cropped. You might want some of the extra on the sides to keep the top and bottom.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:18 PM   #3

Trique Daddi wrote:
Quote:
... I reduce them to print and for web use. Usually 5x7 about 2000 x 1300. My dilema is that Like on the attached photo the machine will crop part of the picture off (on this pic the top of the atena and the branch at the bottom).It is a sizing issue realated to height.
The simple answer is that you cannot do that without distorting the image or adding something in the border: they have different aspect ratios. 5x7 has a ratio of 0.714, 2000x1300 is 0.65, and the image in your post is 503x550 or 0.915. The image has to have the same aspect ratio (shape) as the paper it is going to be printed on. Much the same as not being able to fill a square hole with a round peg.

The "standard" solution is to pad out the image to fit the aspect ratio for a 5x7, get it printed, then cut off (or matt out) the padding.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the help guys. I don't see an option in elements for entering in inches. It only allows for canvas size or jpg. I will continue to search in help. I downloaded the free program but haven't gotten it to open properly so I'll go back to their site.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:06 PM   #5

In Elements, when you click on the crop tool, look on the new crop menu that appears running along the top. 1st two field are width and height. If you enter the size # you want, followed by a space and in for inches, this will costrain your crop to the size you wish to have. I do this all the time to crop my 4x6 pictures to remove things I don't want and it works perfect.

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote