Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:38 PM   #1

I am soon upgrading my motherboard and processor. I am trying to find out what point there are diminishing returns on memory expansion as far as using CS. I shoot RAW 6 MP photos and use CS. I have been told by friends that there is not much gain after the 512 MB point. I also am trying to decide between an Athlon 64 3200+ and an Intel P4 3G with hyper threading. Is photoshop CS able to run faster and take advantage of the 64? Will CS run noticeable faster on an AMD 64 with the 1M L2 cache than on an Intell P4 3 Gig? Thanks.
ebourlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2004, 2:40 PM   #2

I do not have direct experience with Photoshop CS, but a friend mine has it. He said his computer (P4 2.4GHz with 2GB RAM) can't handle Photoshop files larger than 500 MB too well. It keeps thrashing his hard drive. His P3 crashes with 1GB RAM when running CS. He's currently building:

Dual Xeon Processors
8 GB RAM
Serial ATA Raid 50

That tells you something about how much a resource hog PS is.

If you don't have as much money to burn, a P4 or a AMD64 is fine. Checkout this performance specs for PS CS at Apple:

http://www.apple.com/powermac

But that's apple website
:roll:

GL with your PC purchase.
mindust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 7:18 PM   #3

Some of the performance hits may come from having the PS swap file on the same partition with Winblows. I run an Athlon XP 3200+ with a Gig of RAM without any problems. I do have a totally dedicated & seperate 6-Gig partition set aside for the PS Swap file.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:13 PM   #4

Kalypso, Have you ever run it with 512M or did you start right off with 1 GB RAM? I am trying to determine if there is much of a gain by getting the extra RAM. Thanks.
ebourlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:27 AM   #5

I saw a significant gain in speed and operations when I went from 512 to 1gb with my P4-3 hyperthreaded Dell using PS CS.

Jim
JimCummings is offline   Reply With Quote