Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:39 PM   #1

I was just about to buy Photo Impact Pro 8.5 and noticed it was made buy Nova Development. I knew that I saw on a post here someone said it was made by Ulead. And I was right. So does anyone know what the difference between these two are? It looks like really great software and I have read really good things about it but it was always refered to as Ulead. Any info would be greatly appreciated. And does this program do layering.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2004, 7:59 AM   #2

Nevermind guys. Found the answer for myself. Ulead and Nova Development have teamed up. Ulead is producing the Photoimpact software and Nova Development is the new distributor. Thanks anyway.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:55 AM   #3

Nova is bundling the program with a few extra goodies that Ulead direct doesn't.

It ran an extra $10 over the Ulead price but seemed to be worth it.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 7:11 PM   #4

Have you had any exsperience with this editor? Does it support layers like pse and psp?
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:17 PM   #5

Yes it supports them more like PS6 though. It does do a lot of effects as a layer like PS-CS, I'm not sure if PSP does that.

In other words in PS-CS you can start with a picture...
1) Do effect #1 on a layer
2) Do effect #2 on another layer
3) Do effect #3 on a third layer
4) Alter the effect on layer 2 and it will ripple up to layer 3.

In Ulead only some effects will ripple up not all of them (filters won't)_

If you haven't used Ulead before (I started at version 2.0) I don't think I would recommend it. Photoshop Elements is probably just as powerful and the knowledge you get is applicable to CS. It has pretty good layer support also.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 9:05 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. But I am not going to pay $600.00 for Photoshop CS. So I need a great program to start with and also to grow into. Plus for 80.00 dollars it seems to have so much more filters and skins and photo manipulations than Photoshop Elements. I may be wrong on that but I just want to get the most for my money and I want this to be the only program I need tomeet all my photo needs. So ifPhotoimpact will do as much as photoshop, why pay the extra bucks? I am a pretty fast learner and if the difficulty of use is the only drawback to Photoimpact.I can deal with that. Besides,I can either pay 80.00 dollars now and learn the program and be done or I can spend 60.00 dollars on Photoshop Elements, learn it, and the have to pay 600.00 dollars for Photoshop CS,learn it and then be done.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 5:39 AM   #7

As with all software it depends on use.. I have both and because I have been using it for a long time I use Ulead for most of my projects.

I do occasionally need to drop over to the power of CS for some advanced features. It can be so much faster when you need those features than when you have to try and figure out a way around it.

What I was trying to inform you in the earlierpostis that as far as I can tellUlead is not much more powerful than Photoshop Elements. I'm not familiar enough with PSP to say if it is better/worse.

I do occasionally need to drop over to the power of CS for some advanced features. It can be so much faster when you need those features than when you have to try and figure out a way around it.

BTW you can get CS a substatial discounts (legally even!!)
All of these are in the US.

Method 1 is to find a student and get a the College bookstore or you can buy it online by using the ID. Most of us can find a relative, friend etc that is in school or has a school aged child. It's about $270 that way..

Method 2 is to get an upgrade. Any version can be upgraded to CS and it was not that hard for me to find an old bundled copy from a scanner (I think it was version 3) for almost nothing and then pick up the upgrade for about $150

Method 3 (legal but pushing it). CS allows two installs (Home/Office). So you can split the cost with a friend.

Old Sep 4, 2004, 6:33 AM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback and thanks for all the backdoor ways of getting CS. I do have a cousin in collage,so I will ask him about it.

The main things I want in an editor is the capability to take someone or something and be able to change the background. Say like take a portrait shot of someone and be able to take the face and remove it from a otherwise bland background and put it infront of one I have taken previously at the lake or whatever. And be able to blend them together so when I print it out it looks like I shot it that way. And also I would like to be able to take a B/W or greyscale photo and be able to adjust certain aspects of the photo in layers to give it a little life. Oh, and also the capabilities of duo tone would be nice to. Does Photoimpact do this stuff?

thanks again.