Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Sep 16, 2004, 3:44 AM   #1

I am new to digital photography and have a canon a75. now i take lot of snaps. I do not know how to organise them meaningfully.

Can some kind person let me know how to organise these photos. alos i want to know which FREEWARE i can use to organise these.

hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:51 AM   #2
Zal

Try Picasa. It's pretty good, and it's free:

http://www.picasa.com
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:01 PM   #3

There are two basic issues: keeping track of your originals (digital negatives) and keeping track of your fully editied shots. File your originals by date and keep a "shooter's diary" with brief notes like: "2004 Sept 16 - Cousin Bertha's wedding, stopped at the zoo on the way back". That way you can search your diary for key words, find the date, and then find the original.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't use one of the database systems, but even if you do, the diary is a nice back-up. Just put a copy of the entire diary on every CD of your original, unaltered original photos (your digital negatives - don't mess with them) you burn for back-up and you can locate things fairly quickly.

If you also keep the date as part of the file name (e.g., BerthasWedding040916.jpg) you will be able to find the original easily if/when you botch editing it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:38 AM   #4

I use Ulead Photo Explorer. Whenever I click on the little camera to get my pictures off that camera and into the computer, Ulead makes a new folder based on the time and date that you start your upload. This way, all of my pictures are organized by date. The newer version, 8, adds a few things that I may consider upgrading to. My favorite is the ability to place a name with the date, that makes one less step for me since I name them after they are created along with the date.

Ulead offers free trials, and the software is pretty well priced. I haven't tried Picaso, but if it's free, I may be changing over to that.

Good luck, and the sooner you start organizing the better. I have ain excess of 11,000 pictures.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 12:28 AM   #5

Thanks a lot for such nice tips on how to organize digi photos. I wld follow these steps to start with.

I have Photoshop CS - Is there any idea whether I should get other programs to organize them or Photoshop CS will do everything ? Any ideas ?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 2:28 PM   #6

I don't use any of the software programs, I just create sub-directories under MY PICTURES in Windows Explorer. For instance, we take a yearly family vacation to Feather River so I have a sub-directory, FEATHER RIVER, and sub-directories of the years under that (2000, 2001 etc.). You can add sub-directories for the ORIGINAL pix and those you have PROCESSED, or, whenever you process a picture add a description after the number. Then you know that plain numbers are originals and numbers with descriptions are processed, e.g. dsc 100 vs dsc 100--At the waterfall. Each of my kids (I have 4) has a sub-directory with events subed under each. I always know where my pictures are because I may not remeber the date but I always know the event!

Let me know how whatever you use works.

Good luck!

Jeff
Jeff Mirkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:38 AM   #7

I use Breezes Downloader pro. I have it set to create a new folder based on the date of the upload. It also prompts me for a job code, which it adds to to the folder date-name. For example if I have just daily shots I don't use a job code, but if it is a vacation or pumkin festival, I add that for the code.

I also have it set up to add date and time the shot was taken to the original file name. That way, when the shot is developed, the date and time will be printed on the back of the picture.

I also use Adobe Photo album to organize and view pics. It is not folder based, so you can see them all at once without popping back and forth between folders.

Both programs have 30 day trials.

Cheers
DJPetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 7:46 PM   #8

I use FxFoto. It's free like Picassa. Has a nice timeline feature and searching is easy. It does editing too but it sounds like you're all set with Photoshop. The web site is www.fxfoto.com
bluesails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:49 AM   #9

Thanks, Bluesails. I have tried Fxfoto. It is freeware and worth keeping it. Thanks for the information. But I doubt after you "Auto improve" and save whether the compression is high and the resultant photo loses the quality ? Is it so.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:35 AM   #10
rp3

I use ACDSEE 7 for photo organization. It allows you to make an internal database of the photos with categories and the like. I use it to sort my photos by who is in them.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote