Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:29 AM   #1

IIs there a website that does reviews on image editing software? I am interested in buying the latest paint shop because of the price of photoshop. Pro nine does have histogram, curves, channel mixer and of course, layers and many other features. I would like to read some reviews as well as comments from forum members because I am new to digital manipulation of images. I have no idea of what I would be missing if I choose paint shop over photoshop.
roger s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:55 AM   #2

The biggest thing that you would be losing would be the wealth of good books available at your local bookstore. It doesn't matter how good an image editor is, if you can't figure out how to use it. Also, Elements 3 is coming out October 27th and it will have the mend tool. Although it doesn't have curves, The Gimp does and it is free. If you already know how to use an image editor, try downloading and using The Gimp. My bet would be to purchase Elements 3 and download The Gimp.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:49 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply. You are the only one who has been good enough to offer advice. I am not worried about being able to learn paint or cs. I will be hiring an advanced photography student at a local college for one on one instruction. I just don't want to make an inferior purchase of editing software and waste the money I am investing in high end equipment. I do know enough on the equipment end. If there is a good reason to buy cs, I'll do it, but I don't understand the technical terms of digital photo processing or what they really mean when such things as bits are talked about. I'm to impatient to learn the hard way. I'll buy books after I' fairly acccomplished and have enough knowledge to know what I need to know. I have been playing with pro 9 and cs and don't see much difference in capability. For the extra $600, I am concerned there may be something of real value I would be missing and regret not having. Do you know of a site that would provide comparative information on these programs?
Old Oct 22, 2004, 5:57 AM   #4

I know of artists that use psp and do great things with it and I use Photoshop 7 and CS. Ive seen great things accomplished with both of them. If price is a issue I would go for PSP but there are reasons that Photoshop is the industry standard as I personally think it's the better program. It has the high end tools the professionals need. I do believe that you can probably down load trial versions of both of them to give them a test drive. You might even think about trying Photoshop Elements as I think its under $100 right now and does a lot of what Photoshop does. Here's a good article about it http://www.graphic-design.com/Photos...elements2.html

PHOTOSHOP
A. Best for post processing - i.e. levels adjustments, curves, and most other image adjustments
B. Cropping - BEST! You can put actual picture aspect ratios and crop to that specific size (i.e. 5x7, 8x10, etc...)
C. For professional printing, photoshop takes the award again.

PAINT SHOP PRO
A. Best for just browing your directories for photos
B. Easiest to resize images
C. Easiest for general photo editing

In my book I would think anyone getting serious about artwork or photo editing should go with Photoshop.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. :-)

DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 9:10 AM   #5

Thank you for responding. I already have elements, but did not know it was lacking curves and channel mixer. That nixes elements. You make a strong case for photoshop so I am certainly leaning in that direction, thanks to you comments.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:03 AM   #6

DocX wrote:
Quote:
PHOTOSHOP
B. Cropping - BEST! You can put actual picture aspect ratios and crop to that specific size (i.e. 5x7, 8x10, etc...)
I haven't used Photoshop and I don't wish to belittle your opinions but I have to question whether you've actually used PSP. Last night I was cropping two panoramas in PSP8for printing at 12x4 and all I had to do was select the crop tool, type the numbers in the boxes, check "maintain aspect ratio" and, once I had composed the print within the aspect ratio, click the button to crop. The only reason that it was so complicated(!)was because 12x4 is not a preset ratio. For 7x5, I would just select the "7x5 (horizontal)" preset, compose and click.

_
Underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 4:33 AM   #7
blr

I have both PhotoShop7 and PSP8 (and now downloaded the trial of version 9) and I use PSP more often. If you haven't check PSP9 go to the JASC website and download the fully functional trial. It works for a full 60 days-quite generous. For me PSP is impossible to beat for the price. It has nearly everything PhotoShop has and is more powerful than elements. The PSP9 adds some great features. There is a built-in raw converter, historry palette and couple of great new filters including my new favourite chromatic abberation removal, which works mirracles in some images with purple fringing. The only thing where PSP lacks is speed. Apparently Adobe has a better speed optimization of their image processing algorhitms and PS runs about 30% faster. If your machine is already on the slow side this may matter. For a 3GHz computer it shouldn't matter.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote