Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 17, 2004, 5:47 PM   #1

I have been using Photoshop for some time, mostly making graphics for video projection, then for the last couple years working with images from my own camera. I have used 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, and 7.0. recently did a little work using Elements 2.0 and was very surprised at how powerful it is. There are a few things that I miss; curves, actions, channels, and paths(especially curves. My question is; are they in there somewhere?

I did find the "color cast" adjustment which appears to actually be a white balance adjustment. I think this is pretty cool, I've never seen any other software that allows WB adjustment in JPG. I suppose you lose some color depth but in a pinch it's a good tool. I don't plan to stop shooting RAW but in a pinch... "This tool alone makes it worth installing. I was wondering if that new Photoshop (CS?) has this ability too.

David
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:50 AM   #2
AMG

quick answer, yes
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:01 PM   #3

Thanks

I'm guessing that's yes to the second question. I'm pretty sure the answer to the first question is no.

Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:49 AM   #4

With Elements, you can get a lot of extra features, curves, masks, etc. from a book called Hidden features of Photoshop Elements. There is a CD in the back in which Richard Lynch has a lot of plugins for Elements 1&2. He also has a mend tool on his website that can be purchased for $10.00. If you are frugal, you can download The Gimp for free. That has masks, paths, curves, scripts, etc. You can edit your picture in The Gimp and then open it back in Elements. Unfortunately Elements 3 doesn't have curves either but it will come with the mend tool.
The Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:28 AM   #5

Thanks,

I will continue to use PS7 but install Elements mostly for the jpg white balance thing. I have a friend who will be delighted to hear about those plugins for Elements.