Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:39 PM   #1

Is there a way to crop a JPEG image in Photoshop 5 or Elements and thensave it without losing quality through JPEG's automatic compression?

I've tried saving my cropped images in different formats (JPEG, TIFF, PSD), but they all compress the already compressed JPEG file.

Thanks,

Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:01 PM   #2

Dano wrote:
Quote:
Is there a way to crop a JPEG image in Photoshop 5 or Elements and thensave it without losing quality
First save the jpeg as TIFF, then crop, then resave as TIFF (under a different name). There's no loss so far.

Then resave in any format you like. If you set the jpeg compression very low, ('quality' very high), there'll have been very little loss due to jpeg compression.

Try it out for yourself, and inspect the results alongside each other. If you inspect the images in the editor at such a high magnification that you can see the pixels, you'll be able to see what (if anything) you've lost.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:08 AM   #3

No, Photoshop does not have the loss less crop feature. You should have a look at http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.htmlfor apps which can do this.

The best app for this is cPicture which is the most precise tool to crop JPEGloss less.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips.

What's odd is that my versions of Photoshop and Elements do not have a lossless compression feature -- at least not that I can see. I also have Ulead and ACDSee, which are on your list, and neither of them has a lossless feature either. Am I missing something?

I'll try one of the other freeware programs on the list.

Dano
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:30 PM   #5

I have tried saving as a TIFF file first and there is still noticeable compression after cropping. Am I doing something wrong?

Dano
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:34 PM   #6

Dano wrote:
Quote:
... noticeable compression ...
Do you mean a much smaller file size or a lot of JPEG artifacts? JPEG compression will often reduce the file size by close to a factor of ten without very noticable artifacts showing up.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:39 PM   #7

Yes, I mean a much smaller JPEG file size. After cropping, a 2.7 meg file will be reduced to 900k. I plan to print 8x10s from these files and I want to ensure the best quality possible.

Dano
Old Oct 19, 2004, 7:30 PM   #8

Dano wrote:
Quote:
.. After cropping, a 2.7 meg file will be reduced to 900k. I plan to print 8x10s from these files and I want to ensure the best quality possible.

Dano
Print the JPEG and a TIFF and look at them with a magnifying glass. I doubt you will see any difference.

To save on the cost of printing, crop out the same 4x10 section of each image which contains the most detail. That will also mean that you are absolutly sure that the printing process is the same for both.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote