Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 29, 2004, 7:13 AM   #1

What is a good non pro software photo editing program? I have only used manufacturer provided very basic programs. Need something with more teeth but not too advanced or user un-friendly. Recommendations?
mdbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:17 AM   #2

I would not hesitate recommending Adobe Photoshop Elements. Version 2 is on the shelves now but version 3.0 is due anytime now. Is simple to use but has powerfull features you can utilize as your comfort level grows.

Good Luck:|
lauricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:23 PM   #3

I'll second that... I just received Photoshop Elements 3.0 from Amazon.com. Better hurry if you want to take advantage of some great rebates. I just mailed in $55 worth ($25 from Amazon.com and an upgrade rebate of $30 from Adobe). The Adobe one requires proof of posession of an earlier version, including the "LE" version that shipped with a lot of hardware products. Amazon's rebate requires ordering before November 1st.

My initial reaction is that the manual is a little weak (the old manual was very comprehensive). Still fiddling with the new software, so can't say how I like it, but the older versions are terrific.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:54 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your reply. I will lookinto PSE3.0 as we speak.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:30 PM   #5

You are more than welcome. If you get Elements 3.0 please let us know how you like it.

Good Luck !:|
lauricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:36 AM   #6

Ditto on Elements. I got both 2 and 3 up on the computer now, including CS, and Elements is the way to go for where you are. You'll be learning stuff for two full years or more, and might never need to move up to CS.

I prefer the look of Elements 2, but 3 has the Healing Brush and Shadow/Highlights (which you really have to tone down from the default), and they're great tools.

Check out Scott Kelby's book on it, or check out Jay Arriach's on-line tutorial site.

There's also photoshopelementsuser.com - great overview of the program there.

sc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2004, 2:07 PM   #7

Don't rule out PaintShop Pro. It has no reason to cripple features to avoid competing with full PhotoShop. You can get a free trial version (timed if it is the same a earlier trials).

Any fairly full-featured editing program will take a fair amount of time and effort to learn. If you decide to look at a timed trial, don't download it untill you have enough time to spend at it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:37 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I appreciate your feedback. Danny