Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:03 PM   #1

Whilst trawling the internet today, I discovered "thedownloadplace.com" which is offering all sorts of software for the one off sum of $29.95 per year or $39.95 for life. The offer sounds amazing because you can apparently have everything you want(including Photoshop CS full program)after the initial payment. Has anyone tried this place and is it as good as it sounds? Please help.aMany thanks

Barry:?
barrylevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:11 PM   #2

I can only see two ways that this is even remotely legal.

1) Their "download manager" is actually spyware. It is gather info about you and they are selling it. Maybe not truly illegal stuff, like credit cards and such. But what websites you go to and all of that. And they are selling it to anyone who is willing to pay... and its extra valuable because they know exactly who you are. So they are making money off you by selling your web browsing info to marketing companies, while you get cheap software.

2) They are selling "backup" copies. There are a few companies which sell copies of software which are "for backup purposes only". I've only seen this once or twice and they state up front that that is what they are doing. They don't sell you a license, they sell you a copy of the files. If you have a legal license to the program then you're all set.... and it's cheaper than replacing it from retail.

These sites argue that since it's legal to have a backup copy of what you buy, and they are just selling you a backup, then this is perfectly legal (they do state all over the place that you MUST own an original copy of the product. But, of course, people can lie.)

I don't know if this business model has survived legal attacks. This is rather on the edge of copyright law.

Since this site doesn't say anything about #2, my guess is that it is #1. But you should call adobe and ask them. Is that company a legal reseller of their product? They might not tell you... or maybe they will. Either way, they might go after them and close them down.

I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot poll, but I'm a bit conservative on these things.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 12:25 AM   #3

If its too good to be true, it probably is.

Googling, it appears that the place mentioned here is a service to tell you HOW to download programs for free; its not illegal to tell you to get kazaa or whatever p2p of the day. But its a slimy way to weazel $30 out of you.

Sounds like they may have a lame mp3 service as well (no 3rd party content).

Seth
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:40 AM   #4
Zar

Funny thing... I live in a place where authorities doesn't seem to control on software piratery. You can find in some places Photoshop CS, Illustrator, Adobe Encore, Windows XP OS... for about $5 each. If you're a graphic design or web page creation company, of course you should buy the $600+ original programs, but I know lots of young people who are learning to use them and take that chance... how much can you criticize that?
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:45 PM   #5

Zar wrote:
Quote:
If you're a graphic design or web page creation company, of course you should buy the $600+ original programs, but I know lots of young people who are learning to use them and take that chance... how much can you criticize that?
Would you mind if someone "used" your photos because they couldn't take one as nicely? It's theft -- neither age nor income level are justification to steal, no matter how much you try to rationalize it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 1:01 PM   #6
Zar

ohenry wrote:
Quote:
It's theft -- neither age nor income level are justification to steal, no matter how much you try to rationalize it.
Ok, I'm not trying to say that's not theft... actually I did use the word "piratery". Only that, perhaps, it wouldn't damage the owners as much as you would think. As I said, companies who do profite from using this programs should have a legal, registered version. I have heard of companies who had to pay a huge amount of money because of fines for using non-registered versions of windows.
But people who wants to learn, sometimes the so-called nerds, may use this reality (piratery) to learn the programs and somehow make them popular. So, when they finally make their Graphic Design, etc., company, they will most probably buy the program they learned to use, let's say Photoshop instead of Paint Shop Pro. And before that, they probably didn't much money out of it anyway. So, I guess all I was trying to say is that this does not cause THAT much loss to the companies.

But I might be wrong, I have been in the past.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:05 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for their interest and replies. I have decided to hang on to my $29.95 and put it towards the regular price and try to find a genuine bargain. Many thanks again

Barry Levers
barrylevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:54 AM   #8

I know this is late, but I found this on the company on the BBB site.

http://www.stlouis.bbb.org/commonrep...mpid=310018102

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 6:32 PM   #9

How about Photoshop Elements? I've heard it's pretty cheap and almost as complete as the full Photoshop version. Is it? What does it lack? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks a lot.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:42 PM   #10

you guys piqued my interest so i tried the site (after reading the terms etc. - with no mention of how the actual software is transfered)-- RIP OFF- DO NOT DO IT. they make it seem as if you are downloading the software reight from their site- but it is merely a shareware type program similar to Kazaa or bearshare-----see sjburges explanation-- he's dead on. I simply contacted my credit card and disputed the charge based on being mislead- told them I would file a class action if I had to (oh- by the way- my wife's a lawyer- it costs her 15$ to file a suit against them in CT and has her paralegal do the legwork- usually just a nice, friendly letter request her clients $29.00 refund will resolve the issue)- Anyway-----------STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!
digic is offline   Reply With Quote