Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 30, 2004, 10:13 PM   #11
Administrator

Yea... I'm a litttle ticked at the upgrade cycle for some reason right now (I guess you could tell by the tone of my post).

I did finally break down and get abox with Win'XP Pro (but that doesn't mean I have to like it). ;-)

It's resource hungry compared to Win '98 SE, and I don't think it's as stable based on my experience with it so far with the software I use. In fact, I know it's not as stable as my Win '98 SE configuration was. I'm gettingtired ofapplications crashing and seeing those"Do you want to send an error report to Microsoft" screens. Of course, maybe that's my fault. I did deliberately installSP2. :-)

Also, if you check the specs on most packages that run on both, the minimum system requirements are dramatically higher for XP versus '98.

So, you need a much faster box, with more RAM, just to run the same software on XP as you were running on 98 at an equivalent speed.

Now, I've got3.0Ghz P4 with HT, 800mhz FSB, 1GB DDR 400 RAM, Seagate 7200 RPM SATA Drive, etc.

The sad part is thatsome applications actually run faster on my old P3 with half the RAM (which was slower RAM, too), and it had a slower bus design,IDE versus SATA Drives, etc., running Win '98 SE.

So, I'm not happy that more and more manufacturers are requiring an update to Win 'XP, when Win '98 uses far less resources and was plenty stable and secure enough for me (using Zone Alarm, AVG Antivirus & Spybot S&D).

I could care less whether or not Microsoft wanted to support it anymore, either. But, it's not *that* hard for a software manufacturer to write products that will run on both platforms (in fact, it'sprobably easier to code for both by not using any XP specific API calls, and then they'd keep more customers happy).

Unfortunately, I guess I'm in the minority, and it looks like everyone will need to upgrade their OS eventually if they want to take advantage of newer software for Windows.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 7:33 AM   #12
AMG

Well Jim, I see you are quite upset and I don`t want to attack you, but is it possible that your computer is infected or slowed down by spyware. I have xp home with SP2 installed and I have to say I have never seen a windows operating system run so smooth and so stable. I never re-boot, and never crash. My wife has crashed once or twice, but she susally has 3 or 4 programs open with adobe acrobat reader which sometimes seems to slow the system. And on top of this, my system is only 1 Ghz. It`s 4 years old, 512 ram. I will admit I never used 98, but people who have went from 98 to xp share my opinion.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 8:09 AM   #13
Administrator

AMG wrote:
Quote:
Well Jim, I see you are quite upset and I don`t want to attack you, but is it possible that your computer is infected or slowed down by spyware. I have xp home with SP2 installed and I have to say I have never seen a windows operating system run so smooth and so stable. I never re-boot, and never crash. My wife has crashed once or twice, but she susally has 3 or 4 programs open with adobe acrobat reader which sometimes seems to slow the system. And on top of this, my system is only 1 Ghz. It`s 4 years old, 512 ram. I will admit I never used 98, but people who have went from 98 to xp share my opinion.

Nah, I'm not really *that* upset (although I probably sounded like it). ;-) I'mjust voicing my opinion on being forced to upgrade to get newer versions of software for Windows.

No, it's definitely not infected by Spyware. I keep it clean (check for updates with Spybot S&D frequently, check with Adaware as a secondary, keep virus definitions current, run Zone Alarm as a firewall, etc.).

This box is a Dell, and all drivers are up to date. I even flashed the Bios with the latest version prior to updating it with SP2. All other drivers are also upto date (video, network, etc.).All recommended updates for XP are installed (not just the critical updates).Hardware Diagonstics are fine.

I'm confident that it's not hardware, and there is nothing wrong with my Windows XP install. In fact, it was a very clean machine before I even installed SP2 or any USB related hardware. When I got it,I didn't install anything before updating drivers andflashing the Bios with the latest version (other than loading Spybot S&D to check for Spyware, even though it was a fresh XP install, and running a Virus Scan withAVG). I'm pretty careful in this area.

Now, I was running Norton Internet Security (2004) on it when I first got it (I disabled the Firewall and Anti-Virus since I preferred AVG and Zone Alarm), since it was included with my Dell. But, Norton's Anti-Spam for Outlook 2003 was causing serious problems (Outlook failing to downloadmessages after using the "This is Spam" button, with the machine locking up entirely from time to time (requiring pulling the power cord -- it was even unresponsive to CTRL+ALT+DELETE).

But, once I finally gave up on Norton entirely (uninstallling allSymantic and Norton Products), this behavior immediately stopped (no more needing to pull the power cord with the PC unresponsive to CTRL+ALT+DELETE when Norton decided to hog all system resources). My guess is that Norton Internet Security 2004 is not fully compatible with Win XP SP2 (and I had no intention of buying 2005 to see if that was the problem). And yes, I did run the live update before disabling the firewall and antivirus portions of it (leaving only the anti-spam running before finally uninstalling it entirely which did dramatically improve the PC's stability).

Yet, applications still crash from time to time (i.e., some of my photo editing applications), with nice "Would you like to send an error report to Microsoft" type messages. Even Canon's newest release of their Easy Photo Print (photo printing software) has this behavior.

I see these types of application crashes multiple times per day with XP (but, I often spend around 16 hours/day on the PC, and I probably use mine a lot more than most).

Did my Win '98 system ever have similar problems? Sure it did -- I had errant applications requring applicaton shutdowns and/or reboots with it, too. But, XP is defintely worse for the way I use a PC, and I see no reason that manufacturers like Adobecan't code for both platforms (i.e., Jasc and others stilldo it since you don't have touse XP specific API callsto write software for Windows).

Added:

I missed your comments on wife's PC having crashed when she's running multiple apps at once including Adobe Acrobat Reader.Adobe's Acrobat Reader (latest 6.x version) is something I run veryoften, too (checking userguides when forum members have questions about their cameras). It could be part of the problem (it does behave badly, with Adobe's Acrord.exe trying to "phone home" periodically, even though it's only supposed to be checking monthly according to the preferences I've got set).

So, perhaps it's causing more problems under XP than it caused under '98. This is also one of my "pet peeves" (applications that try to "phone home" without your permission), so I usually block their attempts with Zone Alarm if they ignore my preferences settings. Perhaps my blocking their attempts is causing more problems, too.

Anyway, this is the normal way I run a PC (multiple apps at once, multiple browser windows, etc.), and I had far less problems under Win '98 SE than I'm having under Win 'XP Pro with SP2.

Can I live with it? Yes, for now.

But, the next time around when software manufacturers wantme to upgrade my operating system to run their latest version of anything, I maydecide to ditch Windows entirely.More and more applications are becoming available for alternativeOperating Systems (i.e, Linux). In fact, I'm already running Open Office (even though I've got MS Office installed), andI've been taking a look at Gimp and other cross platform applications, as well as trying alternative browsers to IE.

Right now, the benefits of staying with Windows outweighs the negatives of changing (for me), since I'm pretty dependent on some of the Windows apps I run. But, the next time around, that may not be the case. So, I'm just voicing my opinion on manufacturers' policies of requiring an OS upgrade to get their latest versions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote