Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:48 PM   #1

What are the major differeces between Photoshop 7.0 and Photoshop CS?

Is it worth the moving to CS?
digic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:38 PM   #2

being able to work with 16 bit files (i don't think 7 can do that)

text on a line (not worth the upgrade by itself, but it is pretty cool )

and, for digital photography people...camera raw...

imo VERY useful

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:22 AM   #3

You can download a tryout version from Adobe here http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

I was not planning to upgrade from ps 7, until Iwas able to useCS on a friends machine, 7.0 is good. CS is quite amazing.

Also recommend the book Photoshop CS for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby. There are a huge number of features in CS that would take forever to find onyour own.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 1:16 PM   #4

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=12936

i have 7 and cs, and tend to use cs most of the time...
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:39 AM   #5
AMG

some other differences;

new match color function

new color replace tool

healing brush can be used on a transparent layer

fantastic adjust highlights and shadows***

crop, rotate, and separate files -automatically for scanned photos

AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:33 AM   #6

The problem is if You have windows 98 or ME You can't use photoshop CS. It is for XP only. I don't understand Why though!!!! Does anyone know Why?????
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:05 PM   #7

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
The problem is if You have windows 98 or ME You can't use photoshop CS. It is for XP only. I don't understand Why though!!!! Does anyone know Why?????

they also have a mac version...
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:06 PM   #8

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:

they also have a mac version...
Old Nov 30, 2004, 7:51 PM   #9
Administrator

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Nope. Adobe did this with CS (no more Win '98 or ME support), and with the new version of Elements (it won't runon Win '98 or ME either).

Actually, Adobe really started phasingout support for Win '98 even earlier. For example, their Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 version wouldn't run on Win '98 (but would still run on Win ME).

Adobe didn't even givecustomers the option of trying to runAlbum on Win '98 SE (which IMO is more stable than ME). If you tried to load it on a Win '98 (versus ME) PC, it came up with a message that said you did not meet the system requirements (it didn't even try to load -- it simply checked your OS version).

Now, they've declared both '98 and ME dead (my interpretation) with their latest Elements and CS products.

BTW,Paint Shop Pro still runs on Win '98 or ME, and the latest version 9 gives you a lot of "bang for the buck":

http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:02 PM   #10

So did MS, I am pretty sure they declared the older OS versionsdead as well. Even getting help for W2K is not easy. I'm suspecting the newer Adobe products were compiled relying on XP specificcomponents being available. Like memory, memory management and system color management. If I remember right the older Windows versions had trouble if you tried to install more than 768meg of ram. CShas no trouble eating uphuge amountsof memory if you get into large images and complicated editing.

It is the never ending upgrade spiral all over again,Newer faster hardware ismade to sell newer flashier software to utilize all its capabilities and new flashier software is madeto sell bigger faster hardware so it can be run. :?

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Now, they've declared both '98 and ME dead (my interpretation) with their latest Elements and CS products.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote