Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:51 AM   #1

Hi all, i wanted to get some ideas on what o can do here. I have a picture that i took with a digital camera and the file size for image is 11x17. Now this is the original file size. Ok, now i have done things to the photo by adding text. I took this file to a local photo lab and wanted it printed to a 11x14 and they couldn't do it because my text would've been cropped. What do i need to do, to make sure that it doesn't crop my text? I know about resizing the photo but would that degrade the quality of my photo?? Thanks!!

I do have Photoshop 7 for my Image creativity.
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:45 AM   #2

I am not at all sure what you mean by:
macatack71 wrote:
Quote:
... the file size for image is 11x17. ...
I'd guess that you mean the photo is 11x17 inches at something like 283 dpi/ppi.

Resizing by simply changine the dpi/ppi will not degrade your image in any way, but it will not solve your problem. You will have to crop 3" off the long end. That will degrade the image in the sense that you will have thown away part of it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:59 AM   #3

Open your original image file (oif). Then, create a New File with dimmensions 11 x 14 in the same dpi as the original. Drag the oif onto the new and, using Edit | Transform | Scale, adjust the 17 dimension to fit into the 14 inch new dimension, leaving a border along the top and/or bottom. Flatten the image, save and it's ready for printingat a slight reduction in size.

Or, if you can lose 1/2 inch on both the left & right size and your lab can do a 12 x 18, you can "crop" your 11 X 17 (equivalent to 12 x 18.54) to fit onto a 12 x 18 print at a slight increase in size.

Good luck...Harvey Go, Spartans '61
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:10 PM   #4

Thank-you for the info!!!
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote