Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:55 PM   #1

[size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" PT][size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" PT]Hi, I'm having problems with Costco printing my pictures into 8x10. Everytime they come back, they always come back with the top or bottom or both chopped off. The people at Costco say I need to reformat the PICS, but I don't know how to. Any help would be appreciated. Also what is the best way to make an image (like pure white,ect.) so I can transfer PICS on it to make collages
Thank you very much
Eddie[/size]
[/b][/i][/u][/suB][/suP][/size]
eddietee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2004, 1:00 PM   #2

Your camera will probably be producing an image with side lengths in the ratio 4:3 (same as a standard TV screen).

To make this fit a 10x8 sheet you have two options.....

1. Crop the picture using the 'crop' tool in PSP8, to chop a bit off one or both of the long sides, or even off all four sides. PSP will probably display the 'aspect ratio' on the status bar as you do it. You need an aspect ratio of 1.25, or 0.8 (depending on whether it's portrait or landscape). Save as a jpeg and send to the printer.

2. If you framed your original shot well, and want everything on the print that's on the image, go in PSP8 to 'Canvas Size', and add blank space (any colour you like, but medium grey might give the best printing results) around the image so that it's the same 1.25:1, or 5:4, or 4:5 shape as the 10x8 paper they're going to use. Again, save as a jpeg and send to the printer.

Good luck!

Good luck

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 2:23 AM   #3

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
PSP will probably display the 'aspect ratio' on the status bar as you do it. You need an aspect ratio of 1.25, or 0.8 (depending on whether it's portrait or landscape).
Actually, PSP should have a crop tool preset for 10x8 (horizontal) and 10x8 (vertical). Choose the appropriate one and it gives you a rectangle of the right aspect ratio that you can move around and resize (while still retaining the aspect ratio). When you are happy, click the tick button to crop.

_
Underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 9:54 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Yes PSP8 does have cropping with a aspect ratio, but the problem is

I making collages and part of my pictures are being cut out. I have a 8 meg. camera

and the pics that I download on my Cd's don't come out full pictures when I have

them printed at Costco, Walgreens, etc.

Thanks again for any help

Eddie
eddietee is offline   Reply With Quote