Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1

I've been looking for links to find tutorials on how to make Drop Shadow Frames in PS7 and cant find any anywhere.
Has anyone got a link for this or can share a few tips on how to do it?
Many thanks
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:41 PM   #2

hey man!

alrighty...drop shadow frames...

ok, here's wat you do...they are VERY easy

1) resize, edit, watever else you want to do for web.

2) make sure your picture layer isn't locked...if it is, duplicate it, and delete the one that's locked (

3) go to Image/Canvas Size, and click the 'relative' box...add anywhere from 50-150 pixels to each side (i usually do 60 horizontal and 50 vertical...split up to 30 on the left and right, and 25 on the top and bottom)...you won't need a whole lot of room unless you want to add text down there

4) ok, so now you have your picture with grey and white checkerboard...the checkboard basically means that part is transparent, so make a new layer, and place it below the picture layer, and fill that with white. (paint bucket tool, or "Edit/Fill")

5) then, select your picture layer, go to "Layer/Layer Style/Blending Options" and click on the drop shadow box on the pop up window that comes up....if you just click the white box to check it, you won't be able to change the settings for it, so click on the box the text is in next to the small white one (lol, hopefully you'll be able to follow that..lol)

6) play around with the settings till it looks good...spread will make the black thicker and stronger, size will make it spread out more, and distance will place it further from the picture.

7) you may also want to place a thin black line around the picture...to define it more. If you do, while you're in the blending option window, look at the bottom left, it'll say "Stroke" click that, change the size to "1" and the color to black.

8)...hmm...i think that's it...this is the part you might want to sharpen....but do all your major editing before you add the frame...

hope this helps

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:16 PM   #3

Thanks Vito
Like you say, very easy.

How you doing with your new Rebel? Joined the rest of us in search ever better lenses yet? :G

Thanks again
Mike
Old Dec 9, 2004, 2:23 PM   #4

haha yep...i'm planning on getting some better glass sometime in the spring (after christmas passes, and i can recover my finances lol)

PM me if you have any problems (with the frames)

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:07 PM   #5

OK now that i've got nice Drop shadow frame i'm after something else! :roll: :-)

Ages ago i had Film frame template. I cant remember where i got it from but after a recent pc reformat l've wiped it from my HD completely!
It shouldnt be to hard to build it myself in PS but i was wondering if anyone knows where i could get it before i start from scratch.
It looked really good and would be very useful for me to build sequence surf shots.

Anyway, this is the sort of thing that l'm after...
Attached Images