Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 28, 2002, 9:20 AM   #1

Default Slowdown in Photoshop Please Help!!

I have experienced an extreme slowdown in processing images in Photoshop. What used to take approximately 10 or 15 seconds now may take as much as 1-2 minutes, sometimes longer.

I am using Photoshop 6 on a PC with 512 MB of RAM. It is a 1 GHZ computer with a Pentium 3 processor and a 40 Gig hard drive.

My images are usually about 15 MB. I have saved several (approx 90) to the hard drive but was under the impression that it is the RAM capacity that controlled image processing speed.

I currently have over 14 Gigs left on the hard drive and over 350 MB of RAM remaining. I also do not understand why the RAM does not reset itself upon turning off my computer. I thought it would reset to near zero.

I know this is a long post but am most grateful for your help.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2002, 10:32 AM   #2

as far as the ram resetting itself after shutdown there is no power going to it so there off. ain't nothing there.

your os upon coming up uses about 75-100 MB of that ram depending XP home or pro version just to run.

if your running 98 it has memory limitations below that of XP or 2k

bring up PS6(which you should update to 7 BIG DIFFERENCE) another 75MB is history.

double the 15MB to 30 PS keeps the original until you save or save as. rule of thumb 2x the size of the image for work.

thats almost 200+/- 10% OH MB gone just to get a program going.

now look at what you have on the lower rht system tray and
list what programs you have running there.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:00 PM   #3

Default It's fixed

Thanks for your help. The problem is solved.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:41 PM   #4

what resolved the issue?
Old Oct 28, 2002, 10:49 PM   #5

Default Problem solved by

After trying everything I could think of I finally uninstalled PS and reinstalled. Everything is fine now. My only guess is that I inadvertantly changed some mystical setting. Although the only one I know would have that effect is the amount of RAM dedicated to PS. But I had already checked that and it had not moved off the 70% setting. Who knows? Maybe it was a gremlin.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:09 PM   #6

just remember one thing about PS6 if you you work a picture and then save it as the original you'll lose the exif data. PS 6 does not recognize that as part of the image.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 5:08 PM   #7

You might also want to check where PS has assigned as the scratch disk. If the drive does not have enough free disk space, this can cause all sorts of problems.

It is also possible that PS was not properly cleaning out the scratch disk when it was shutting down.

Just a thought.
Declan

PS: yes I like PS 7 much better (now it's 7.01)
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 4:07 PM   #8

8) I find that after processing 40-50 images, my system slows down so much that I need to run scandisk, and that's with a 40 meg drive.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 4:08 PM   #9

8) Uh. . . maybe I mean defrag. It's all Greek to me.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
just remember one thing about PS6 if you you work a picture and then save it as the original you'll lose the exif data. PS 6 does not recognize that as part of the image.
It's not exactly so: PS 6 doesn't recognize it but it doesn't change it as well. If you open a JPEG and save as JPEG - EXIF is still there.
Sergey
twopizza is offline   Reply With Quote