Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Oct 29, 2002, 2:01 PM   #1

Default Digital Imaging Program Wishlist

Hey folks,

I've been looking for a good program that will index my images on my computer in a sort of image database (like IMatch) and also do some image enhancement based on the EXIF data of my images (like Mediachance's DCE Enhance 2.0) and provide some manipulation tools. Well I've found all these features in different programs, each. like $40USD. What I haven't found is a comprehensive solution to do what I want. So I figured other people might have things that they want as their imaging editing wishlist.

I'm endeavouring to create a program which does all that I need it to do, so that I don't waste endless hours looking for tools online and still having them come up short.

What I would like is for other digital camera users to let me know some features that they will like in such a program. As with any software engineering project this program will not be ready for over a year from now. I'll have a more formal questionairre up later this week.

Please list your features no matter how absurd they might seem to you. More information coming later this week.

Thanks.
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2002, 6:57 AM   #2

Although I'm not yet having to manage a vast number of images the main thing that I need is to maintain the link between the original JPEG and the modified image. I currently do this through file naming, but as a result I end up with file names like -

"Grey Heron Musselburgh 20092002 from JPEG 0145". This isn't impossible to manage as I can keep the files in various directories.

How well this will work in the future I'm not so sure.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2002, 5:02 PM   #3

One thing I would like to see is the ability to handle RAW files from various vendors, or at least be able to extract and display the thumbnails.

Full access to EXIF data and be able to deal with images archived on CD or DVD media.

I'm sure I can think of more things I would like later.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 10:54 PM   #4

Sounds okay so far. I really want this project to be challenging, so it will be something substantial... I always liked a challenge. Here's what I was thinking so far:
- Full EXIF support (whatever version we reach when I'm at completion of the product)
- Image mapping, tagging original files from the digicam with extra optional data to catalogue the images and also pattern matching in to find pictures that look like another.
- ICM Support for various digital cameras - if I could get the profiles
- Image correction based on the EXIF data
- Lossless rotations
- Hotpixel removal from images
- basic image manipulation tools
- Compatible with my Wacom Graphire2 tablet
- Sensible GUI (a topic I've spent years studying)
- Thumbnail generation
- Batch processing for any number of jobs
- Compatible with Adobe Photoshop plugins

Initially the product will support the Olympus C-2100UZ camera only, and then when I get things working I'll plug support for other cameras based on the help of users like you.

I'm in the specification analysis phase right now, so features in my head are likely to change based on the feedback of as many users who wish to help. Please don't ask me when the product will be ready, as any estimate I give will be just a sloppy guestimate. There is no way I can tell you how long it's going to take, as I don't know yet what most people want.

I look forward to your support/questions/feedback. Feel free to PM me as well.

Kirk
Old Nov 2, 2002, 4:05 PM   #5

Speed - it must be fast at what it does. I have seen to many programs that take just way too long to display an image because they are doing maximum quality for image display.

Allow the user to decide if speed or quality in displaying images is what is wanted.

Real time viewing of filter changes on the full screen image. And tools that are large enough for the user to manipulate properly.

Good ICC support.

Well, you have certainly taken on a very big project. I wish you the very best of luck on this, and I also hope that you succeed in producing a program that addresses all the short comings of the other programs out there.

If you have not already done so, take a look at Qimage Pro and Bibble. Each have (to me) serious failings. Bibble is way too slow and Qimage has very confusing menus, among other issues.

If I think of other items for your wish list, I'll let you know.

Just curious, where did you learn to do graphics/image manipulation programming?

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 1:51 AM   #6

I've been programming since I was 8 years old. I'm now an engineer specializing in software development. I've been doing graphics since the days when I had to use xplot and yplot to draw coordinates on a screen on a TRS-80.

It's not so much about manipulation etc... that's the easy part. Getting a good user interface is what I'm working at. Note, this is a hobby project that I'm building - I've decided to release it under GPL when it's in development.

Note that I have no intention of creating a "PhotoShop program" as we already have PhotoShop, and I have no intention of making a rudimentary image viewer - as we have those too (IrfanView is a good one). iCorrect looks like it has promise - a dumbed down UI, but it does what it's supposed to do. I also really like Mediachance's DCE 2.0, for it's UI. I don't want to recreate a whole program but try to do something innovative (I will have to repeat some features however).

Still in the requirements gathering phase - I'm not pretending to know what the program will do as yet, until I get an idea of what most people need.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 6:16 AM   #7

Well, I am glad you are in requirements phase.. ie, actually listening to users' needs, rather than designing a program that we may not need or want! :P

What I would like to see is some way to batch process EXIF data. I would like to add to the EXIF fields (subject, author, location, copyright, etc) that are user modifiable. This can be done with PS7 and ACDSee, but only one picture at a time. I would like to have the ability to do this to a whole folder of photos at once.
Pilaar39 is offline   Reply With Quote