Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:30 PM   #1

I am looking for a free red eye remove software... If you can recommend me one, please post the download link here.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thank you!
makeover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Many image editors include redeye reduction features now.

Free software would include the software you see bundled with many printers. Here's an example from HP that will work with other printers, too that has a redeye reduction feature:

HP Image Zone Express

Another example of free software would be the software that Kodak includes with their cameras:

Kodak Easyshare Software

Picasa is another free product, recently purchased by Google:

Picasa Home Page

One popular tool that many of us use for some functions (image resizing, viewing of EXIF information, redeye reduction,etc.) is Irfanview. Make sure to download the free plugins, too.

Irfanview

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 4:39 PM   #3

I have Irfanview, but I have only used the batch conversion/rename portion of it. I have found the redeye reduction, and it seems to work pretty well.

What about something free/easy to do the croppping to the correct aspect ratio for various prints? I know Photoshop will do this, but that is a little pricey - all I want is the ability to lock the crop window to the correct aspect ratio for 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 pictures.

I use Paint Shop Pro 5 for everything else - can it do this and I just haven't found that part yet?
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:11 AM   #4
Administrator

rctoyguy wrote:
Quote:
I have Irfanview, but I have only used the batch conversion/rename portion of it. I have found the redeye reduction, and it seems to work pretty well.

What about something free/easy to do the croppping to the correct aspect ratio for various prints? I know Photoshop will do this, but that is a little pricey - all I want is the ability to lock the crop window to the correct aspect ratio for 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 pictures.

I use Paint Shop Pro 5 for everything else - can it do this and I just haven't found that part yet?
Picasa is a free product that can do this (crop box that maintainsa selectedaspect ratio). But, it maintains edits internally, rather than applying them to the saved image. So, if you want to use the prints in another application, you need to use it's export function (whichcan export photos to another folder, including the crops). See my previous post for a link to it.

If you're printing you own, HP's free Image Zone Express can also crop this way, and can print to non-HP printers.It also maintains it's edits internally.

If you've ever owned an Epson product that included Epson Film Factory, it can also give you a resizable crop box that maintains a selected Aspect Ratio.

I don't know about PSP 5. PSP 9 can do this (allow you to select a preset aspect ratio, or define a custom one), then maintain the selected aspect ratio while you resize and move the crop box around.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote