Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:29 AM   #1

My son accidently resized some photos without backing them up and now the quality of the photos is poor. Is there any software out there that would allow me to restore these photos? Are there any options for me? These were important family photos. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
BadgerBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:47 AM   #2

If you have XP or ME you might try a system restore back to before he resized the pictures. If you haven't overwritten the memory card they were written on you might be able to use recovery software.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:51 PM   #3

slipe wrote:
Quote:
If you have XP or ME you might try a system restore back to before he resized the pictures. If you haven't overwritten the memory card they were written on you might be able to use recovery software.

Unfortunately I don't think the system restore does anything with files.
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:36 PM   #4

MrPogo wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I don't think the system restore does anything with files.

You are probably right – sorry ‘bout that. I keep a current ghost of my boot drive and restore from that. It does replace the files, but the ghost is larger than the space usually taken by the system restore. Makes sense it wouldn't restore the files.

There is recovery software that will find stuff on the hard drive if it hasn't been overwritten. Maybe some of the files are still there. I don't know of any free software that will do that though.

Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:47 PM   #5

Those photos have been irreversibly changed. The detail that was lost cannot be restored.

Look for copies of the originals. Some photo editing software will produce a myphoto.bak (or some such extention) Look for those, copy them to a temp directory, then change the externtion to jpg (or JPEG or JPG or whatever the standard is on your computer). The other place to look for a copy is on your camera's memory. There are recovery programs that will retrieve deleted images. DO NOT take any more pictures using that memory until you try a recovery program.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:19 PM   #6

I appreciate the response. I understand that I cannot change the current files that have been changed. Is there any specific area on my hard drive that may have temp files that would have my original photos?
BadgerBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 10:44 PM   #7

The best way to find out if something did a backup is to enter the number for the picture without an extension in the Windows search>All files and folders. If your son didn't change the filenames they should still be the same. If he did you can try to find the photos just before or just after and deduce the file number. If there is a backup it will probably have the same number. I don't have any programs that make such a backup so I can't check. I'm not familiar with programs that do that – seems it would take a lot of space if you work with graphics to make backups of all images altered.

You might want to go to Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View and make sure hidden files are displayed.

I'm guessing you have used the memory card in the camera since you took the photos since you aren't responding to suggestions along the line of recovering from there. They could still be on the computer hard drive but it is difficult to find them once the file system has declared the space available. And the space could have been overwritten. This is an example of software that might recover them, but I don't know of anything that works that is also free: http://www.recovermyfiles.com/