Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 3, 2005, 2:35 PM   #1

I know this question is asked alot but since I've had my new camera I can't seem to lower the bytes of my pictures low enough topost them. I try to use compression but it either looks like crap or it doesn't lower enough.I also lower it to about 640-480 pixels and I'll drop the resolution down to about 72 from 300. Any advice on how I could lower a picture to around 250KB and still have it look nice. I used to post pictures all the time with my Sony F707 but it's difficult with my D70. Thanx for your help in advance.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:54 PM   #2

The following should equally apply to your D70 6 M pixel case.

What I do going from 5M pixel (2560 x1920) to say 640 x 480 is to use: >Image >Resize... > Pixel size [set width and height = 640 : 480], make sure 'Resample using...' is checked and selec 'Smart Size' from the pull-down list. Make sure Lock aspect ratio and 'resize all layers' are checked and 'Maintain original print size' is unchecked.

This will get you the size image that you want with minimum artifacts. {I don't know what resampling algorithm PSP Smart Size uses, but Bi Cubic seems to produce ugly stairstep artifacts when resampling to a smaller size}

Then you can use >Save As >Options >Wizard to tune the JPEG compression to get the file size under whatever limit that you need.

jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the detail jawzI'm going to give it a go.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:55 PM   #4

...by the way, Irfanview (www.irfanview.com) has Lanczos interpolation available, which does a much better job of resampling for image resizing than Bi-cubic. Its freeware. But being a separate application, using it may present an awkward workflow depending on what you are doing.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:12 AM   #5

your first suggestion suited me perfectly. Thank you I've been stuck on this for a month.