Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:11 PM   #1

Default What Am I doing Wrong?

Everytime I post a photo or email a photo, I find that the end product is blurry and lacks detail. I normally make a duplicate of the original photo in Photoshop. Then, I resize the duplicate original tiff by making it into a jpeg. Next I go to IMAGE SIZE and reduce the file to 8 x 10 with 72 dps. I save the image and send the file. Am I doing this in the right sequence or is there a better way of doing this?
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2002, 12:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Z
Next I go to IMAGE SIZE and reduce the file to 8 x 10 with 72 dps. I save the image and send the file.

I guess you mean dpi ?

8 x 10 at 72 dpi = 576 x 720 pixels

That's too low resolution for a "decent current" monitor which can display probably 1024 x 768 minimum ; if the monitor is set at that resolution, your receiver than have to magnify the pic to see it full screen ( of full width) implying degradation. Many monitor /pc use 1600 x 1200 resolution

Forget the dpi for the moment if you are not printing;
If the pic file is not use for printing process yet, just the pixel count and the compression rate are pertinent in a jpeg (and in a picture file).
a pic file 8 x 10 at 72 dpi is equivalent to a pic file of 4 x 5 at 144 dpi. ( same resolution of 576 x 720)

I think you better fix 2 parameters to resize your pic:
- the resolution depending on your receiver use of the pic
- the compression rate of the jpeg.

For posting and emailing I used to choose a relatively high resolution ( 1024 width typically ) and a high compression rate around 40% to make the file small (small file , but not too bad because you got resolution) .
A low compression rate ( to avoid too much compression ) and a low resolution is not a good combination , my opinion.

Well, what I mean is, it's worth to keep high resolution and force more compression to manage the file size.
Just make a test from the same starting pic, you will see.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:52 PM   #3

As Kcan said... Also I'd use unsharp mask right before saving the file. Even if you applied USM before - the results are mostly lost while downsizing the file. Set USM parameters to 180/0.3/6 and play from there.
Sergey
twopizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 10:21 PM   #4

Default comment

resize first before using filter/unsharp mask. View the resized image at 100% when using the unsharpmask so you can clearly see the effect.

I hope that helps with the good advice you received above.

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote