Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:00 PM   #1

My camera can shot in Adobe RGB.

I understand that it is a good idea to set upPhotoshop CS's color space todefault to Adobe RGB, but should I shot in Adobe RGB?

Thanks,

Bill

BillS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:01 AM   #2
AMG

yes, but actually what are your other choices ?
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:36 AM   #3

sRGB is ususally the other choice & it's been a standard for many years. If you are editing in Photoshop, shoot in Adobe RGB.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:30 PM   #4

:?Came up with a similiar qiuestion today. CS allows me to change my 20d photos to aRGB. So I was wondering the same thing, should I shoot in S or A RGB. And for a future question, does RAW use the same color space?

I changed my CS program to aRGB, does it make any difference with the camera?

Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:57 AM   #5
AMG

yes, shoot in Adobe RGB, and as far as raw goes, I believe it is not in any color space because it hasn`t been processed yet, but I could be wrong, if it is in a color space, I believe it is Adobe rgb or pro RGB, check your camera`s manual. On the bright side, if I am wrong, someone will reply afte rme very soon. Raw is the only place I am a little foggy, because I have no practical experience with it yet. this summer though, yippee
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:04 PM   #6

If you are going to edit in Adobe RGB, and can also shoot in Adobe RGB, do so.

Conversions are never as good as you are starting out with a smaller color space in sRGB and trying to make it fit intothe larger Adobe RGB space.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:58 PM   #7

Adobe RGB is only good if you are editing your photos in Adobe. Most other Windows software and devices (printers)prefer to see a sRGB image for colour matching (ICM). Also the same applies to print labs(non-professional) and instant print booths, better results will be obtained with sRGB. If you shoot in RAW mode then the profile can be changed at the point of conversion so you can do either/both.

Publishing pictures to the web is also better in sRGB, also sending picture discs to friends are better in sRGB. It all depends on what you are going to do with the pictures you take which colour profile will suit you best.

Adobe RGB has a wider colour space than sRGB,quote Adobe: "The larger the RGB working space, the farther apart each color value would be from its nearest neighbor." which comes down to Adobe RGB has a broader range of colours. This means that your images are truer incolour shading but the difference is very difficult to seewith thenaked eye. If you are taking pictures with the intent to only edit/print in Adobe applications thenAdobe RGBis your preference.

Adobe RGB images straight out of the camera will look less colourful/contrasted than sRGB imageswhen viewed in standard Windows applications. The same applies to printing these imagesusing Standard printer profiles which expect/prefer to see an sRGB image.

Hope this helps.

Paul
pauloffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:20 AM   #8

Paul, thank you. Your post spoke volumes to helping this poor, dense brain understand more about the sRGB VS: aRGB differences.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote