Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 18, 2005, 6:21 AM   #1

What is the difference between the different types of photoshop products eg CS and elements?

I am a newbie but would like to really get into digital photography, so what do you recommend. I am aware of price difference, but this isn't a deciding factor for me in this case.

Thanks.

Mart.
incognito167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:42 AM   #2

If price isn't a deciding factor and you really want to get into photo editing get Photoshop. Elements has more newbe help features, but there are great tutorials online for Photoshop that take you from beginner basics to the very sophisticated. Elements is a bit stunted so people will pay the price for Photoshop and not just get Elements. You run into limitations when you get to higher levels of editing. There are great actions available for Photoshop that require special software to run in Elements for example.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:11 AM   #3

Thanks Slipe.

I think i'll get photoshop.

I know there are alot of tutorials on the web, but which are the better ones - more concise, but reader-friendly too.

Thanks.
Mart.
incognito167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:23 AM   #4

Photoshop CS does like its memory, especially if you discover layers:-). If you don't have much ramin your PC, it will be on your next upgrade list :lol:

As for tutorials a hardcopy I found to be excellent is "The Adobe Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers " by Scott Kelby http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735714118/102-4403180-9427316

Ok, whyhas my font gone so big even though it is showing as size 1 in the editor screen.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:33 PM   #5

You don't want most tutorials "concise" IMO. The more detail the easier they are to follow.

This site has thousands of tutorials: http://www.good-tutorials.com/ This is what I get doing a search on that site for "beginner": http://www.good-tutorials.com/search.php?q=beginner You will find hundreds of beginner's tutorials by just typing "beginner tutorial photoshop" in Google. You can judge for yourself whether they are at a level you like.

This has a good comparison of Photoshop and Elements: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pho...ntscompare.htm

I agree with PeterP about RAM. If you work with full sized images from a digital camera and get into advanced editing a Gig is worthwhile. For one thing you can increase your history with more RAM.

Of almost equal value is a dual monitor setup. Many people have an old monitor sitting around or can get one for a good price. The second monitor doesn't have to be that great. It can hold the tools for normal use or display the tutorial on one screen while you work in Photoshop on the other. Dual VGA cards are inexpensive if you don't get a state of the art gaming card. This is what Photoshop looks like on my dual monitors in normal mode with just Photoshop:

The CD that comes with CS will have a better graphic of the toolbar with the expanded tools within a set. I would print it on index stock and keep it handy so you know what the symbols on the toolbar mean. You can print this one, but it would be better to cut out the one on the help that comes with CS. I have PS7 and my toolbar is different. This is just the first CS toolbar I came across on the web:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:39 PM   #6

I have the book "Sam's Teach Yourself Adobe Photoshop 7, In 24 Hours." It has 24 lessons that supposedly take an hour each, some more some less. I find working with books easier that switching back and forth between screens. This just has worked better for me.

Rich
McGlocktapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:27 PM   #7

I am also interested in buying photoshop but for me price is an issue. I was thinking about going with Elements (the obvious price difference) but does elements cut out a lot of useful CS tools? I make alot of digital art and I find that CS is very usefull in that. Will Elements do the same thing? And why is Elements so inexpensive? I'm just a noob to these programs. Thanks
Jadabiman is offline   Reply With Quote