Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:20 AM   #1
Shu

:?After a struggle, I finally have begun to understand the layer feature in PS. After I follow along with one ofScott Kelby's tutorials re: layers, and after having completed an enhancementin the layers palette, how do I finalize the job? Do I "flatten the image" to leave layers and save the image, or do I renamce and save the image? Also, is there a control key to quickly save the image? .....or ?? Please advise, since no where do I see that final step (Scott just thinks one knows the answer LOL)

Shu
Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:00 AM   #2

To "finalize' your work you flatten the image and then rename and save it. Well, thats how it works in Adobe photoshop CS. Flattening the images puts all the "viewable" parts of the picture in one layer. I hope that answers your question
Jadabiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:57 AM   #3
Shu

Thanks Jad -- simple but powerful answer! Shu
Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 3:26 PM   #4

Jadabiman has it right, though I'd suggest that you should be VERY sure that you are through editing before getting rid of the layers. I tend to save a copy with the layers (PSD) as well as a flattened one (JPG) for printing. And of course, save a copy of the original with no changes whatsoever.

No, I don't work for a hard-drive/media manufacturer.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:08 AM   #5

I'd go one step further and say save a PSD and a TIF using LZW compression. This is a lossless compression as opposed to JPEG which is lossy... You want to keep as much of the quality as possible. You can actually save TIFs with layers now (not that there's any real use in that as opposed to PSDs)...

You'd be crazy not to save your PSD's. When I'm colour correcting in PS I use the layer adjustment tools (like curves, hue & saturation and selective colour at the bottom of the layers thingy) and save a PSD so I can fine tune tonally later if needed.

ALSO in Photoshop CS you don't even have to flatten any more. If you go to save with a layered file you can still save in most of the major formats as a composite.
Nikodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 1:11 PM   #6

I also save the version of the image that has layers. Then flatten, crop, reduce/enlarge to the right size, sharpen as necessary and save to jpg (for the web) or psd for prints.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote