Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:35 PM   #1

I have a video clip and would like to take a still off it but not sure of the software, does anyone have any suggestions? As I said I'm a newbie to all this so don't snigger please when I give a list of software I already have :-) I'm already feeling overwhelmed by all the experience/experts on this site

Photoshop 7, Elements 2, Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8and Pinnacle Studio 8

Padsnbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2005, 2:06 PM   #2

First off, I can't imagine anyone here would snigger at new members......... At least not to your face :-). In any case you have more than enough in your armory to be getting on with. I'm certainly not an expert by any means, but I'll try and start you off. To get a still from video you need to freeze the frame at the point required. I know, pretty bloody obvious, but to do that you need to play it first. That rules out Photoshop, Elements and Paintshop pro. Leaving us with Pinnacle 8. Unfortunately I don't know the program but if you look in the help section of Pinnacle 8 for anything to do with Freeze frame/stills etc. Alternatively you could try playing the file in WindowsMedia Player or any other media player that you might have at your disposal, pause at the desired image point and press PrtScn (printscreen) on your keyboard. Then paste into Photoshop 7 or either of the others and see if that works. It may be a bit trial and error to pause the video at a 'clean' point.

I hope this is of some help, but I'm sure that someone else will come up with more pretty soon.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:41 PM   #3

Thanks Stevekin, sadlythe printscreen didn't work with my keyboard, but I finally managed to get Pinnacle to run the video clip still by still then went into Paintshop Pro and drew through the still...worked really well cheers
Padsnbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:13 PM   #4

Glad you managed it padsnbon. Re printscreen. Just in case you have not used this function before, whenever you press the PrtScn key nothing obvious happens. The image is stored in the Windows clipboard, but you don't see it until you are in your editing programme and you open a new doc and right click and choose paste. It should appear then. If you already know this.............I'll shut up now. :-)

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote