Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:27 PM   #1

I would like to know if anyone has a technique for sharpening edges a specific object within a complex photo. I have been struggling with this for a while, and I can't seem to find a good way to do it. In this example I would like to sharpen the person and the sculpture but leave everything else unsharpened. I have several situations similar to this.
Attached Images

BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2005, 4:09 PM   #2

Photoshop. A number of ways to do this, some possibly better and easier than this one but give this a try.First duplicate the layer, then select the person using Magnetic Lasso, you can always add to or subtract from the selection to tidy up. Control + C, then Control + V to copy the selection to it's own layer. Do the same for the sculpture, you may have to mess with the tolerances etc. Make the person the active layer and use Unsharp mask with an amount of about 100% and a radius of 3.6 pixels. Then do the same to the sculpture layer. I also applied some Gaussian blur to thebackground layer with a radius of 1.0 pixel. This was probably not necessary but shows you can sometimes just blur the background to create the illusion of sharpness on your selection.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:25 PM   #3

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I don't necessarily want to blur the background, I just don't want it sharpened. I guess I could use a similar method to select the foreground subjects and sharpen them on a different layer, I was just wondering if there was a better way.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:10 AM   #4

BoaRd bRYce wrote:
Quote:
to select the foreground subjects and sharpen them on a different layer,
That's precisely what I did. I just blurred the background to show there is anoption to create the illusion that the subjects were sharp, without actually sharpening them.Sometimes the image can be way too soft to sharpen on it's own and this can sometimes help. I'm sure there are better, quicker techniques out there, just don't know them myself yet. Try here,

http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html

Scroll to Adobe Photoshop & Adobe ImageReady and choose your OS. Forum for all things Photoshop.

Regards,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:45 AM   #5
sds

I tried something a little different and used PSE3 and lightened the background, sharpened the objects mentioned and raised the contrast some.
Attached Images

sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:11 AM   #6

I would use the lasso tool with a feather of 20 (depends on photo size) This way you get hard edges between processed and original
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 3:31 AM   #7

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
I would use the lasso tool with a feather of 20 (depends on photo size) This way you get hard edges between processed and original
Perfect! thats what I was looking for...