Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 14, 2005, 6:50 PM   #1

Greetings;
I'd appreciate any opinions on whether it is worth while to upgrade to Photoshop CS from 7.0. I'm in a bit of a bind in that it looks to me that CS doesn't run on Win 98 SE, so I would have to upgrade to XP as well. I'm fairly happy with 7.0 but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken the plunge.

Cheers, Erik
Erik Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 7:07 PM   #2

Erik Graham wrote:
Quote:
Greetings;
I'd appreciate any opinions on whether it is worth while to upgrade to Photoshop CS from 7.0. I'm in a bit of a bind in that it looks to me that CS doesn't run on Win 98 SE, so I would have to upgrade to XP as well. I'm fairly happy with 7.0 but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has taken the plunge.
Cheers, Erik
As much as I dislike MS's product scheme, 98SE is not nearly the OS that XP (Pro) is. PS-CS is also 75% better than PS 7 too.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:31 AM   #3
AMG

Well cs is only better than 7 if you know the software well. If you merely scratch the surface of photoshop`s potential then maybe it`s not worth it, especailly if you have to upgrade your OS. Don`t forget, if you want your system to run well, and I mean really well, you need to reformat your hard drive prior to installing xp. But, for get that, I will throw a few key differences at you, if they go over your head, don`t upgrade,

ability to create non square fiels for use in video

ability to use healing brush on empty layer

highlight shadow tool ( a great tool to save a bunch of other steps to acheive same result )

RAW

match color, ( haven`t really used this one yet )

a few new blending modes

those are all I can remember becasue it`s been over a year since I`ve seen or used version 7, which is a great version though.

AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:54 AM   #4

Another big improvement from 7 to CS is the bicubic smoother resample for increasing image sizes.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:04 AM   #5
DBB

The main reason to do the upgrade (and CS is better in general) is the RAW importer. I don't think Adobe is upgrading this for 7 anymore. Of course if you don't shoot RAW, never mind...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:42 AM   #6

I'm still using version 7. Each upgrade I have made since version 3 has been an improvement, and I am sure CS is as well. I have the PS7 raw converter for my camera and prefer SI for upsamples. I don't use raw often because my old camera doesn't buffer them and I miss too many shots waiting for the write. As a result I don't generate much 16 bit imagery. PS7 doesn't do much with 16 bit compared to CS. When I upgrade to a camera that buffers raw shots I will buy CS – or whatever is current.

While CS is more competent, I will say I would rather have PS7 with Neat Image Pro, JPG repair and some of the eye candy plug-ins than CS if I couldn't afford both the upgrade and the extras.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:33 PM   #7

I have been using PS since version 5 and I would say that the file browser is the most awesome tool in CS. It all starts there and I work it to death. PS7 had one but it was weak and I didn't use it much. CS browseris killer. There are many other features to CS over 7 but unless you are using it hours everyday, as I do at work, I don't think it justifies the cost, and especially if you have to upgrade the OS. But when 9 comes along.......

xman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:50 PM   #8

Thanks to all who responded. After reading some of the respnses I came to realise is that I still have a lot to learn in PS 7. I have the plug in for RAW files and do use that. Adding up all the costs of upgrading (and it is tax time here in Canada) I decided to hang on for a bit. Thanks, again-well considered adviced from all.

Cheers, Erik
Erik Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:59 AM   #9

Erik
Waiting is the right decision as a new version (CS2) is due out shortly, given Adobe's usual 18 month cycle. April seems to be the date appearing on the Forums.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote