Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:26 AM   #11

Golfer wrote:

Quote:
In summry, I can see the raw photos along with jpegs on teh camera. I can not see raw photos on the computer using PS, or the Canon provided Photo Pro or EOS Viewer.
Well at least it seems there is not a problem with the camera. :-)I'm not too concerned that PS doesn't see the Raw images just yet, but, now I am a little confused as to why Photo Pro or EOS viewer can't see them. I don't know your camera or it's software at all, I presume that EOS viewer is the same as Dimage Viewer for my Minolta in that it is the native viewer for your camera's files, all file formats.

In your summary you don't mention viewing the files in Windows XP Pro without using any software at all. Sorry to go over old ground again, but can you confirm that when uploading to your computer, either from the camera directly or using a card reader, that you cannot see any Raw files.

I quote myself here : "When you connect your camera/card reader to the computer cancel any automated upload process, then click on Open Folder to View Files.If you can see any raw files , right click, then select Open With, then Choose Program, then Selectthe program from alist, click OK. If Adobe Photoshop is listed choose that, if not, browse for it. Put a tick in the check box for 'Always usethe selectedprogram to open this kind of file'. "

Bear in mind that each .CR2 file will have a .THM file, this is the thumbnail generated from the Raw capture to enable you to view the picture in your camera. Just right click the .CR2 file when following the above procedure.

Again, sorry if you have already done this, just want you to confirm. If the raw files are seen in Windows and we can get them opened in the manner above it'll be a start.

If/when you have tried all this and it still won't work, then we will have to call in the big boys.

Any 20D owners out there or PS demons and software whizkids ?

177 views of this thread at time of writing, hopefully one of you can help.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:05 AM   #12

I tried to import using PS but got the error : No WIA compatible devices were detected.................etc.

I have three options in my menu for data transfer.

1. Data storage.........Which is used to transfer image files to the computer or when using the Dimage Viewer software.

2. PTP........................To print images with a Pictbridge compatible printer.

3. Comp. Control.......To record images from a computer using optional DIMAGE Capture ( using the computer to take and view pictures )

My camera is always set to no.1 - No.3 I understand is no good to me without the necessary software and hardware. And no.2 I don't use because I will never want to print direct from my Camera. But here's the thing. Setting my camera to PTP, connecting to my computer, clicking on Import in Photoshop it now asks me what I want to do with the files. Unfortunately, like yours, It can only read my Jpgs, not my Raw. I get a folder called root. But apparently nothing in it.

Maybe you could try a different setting if you haven't already. Meanwhile any help out there ??

Stevekin.

Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:45 AM   #13

Using Photoshop Elements 3 I had to change my 20D communications mode to PTP for it to import the raw files direct from the camera. Prior to figuring that out I was using the supplied Canon software to download manually to a folder and then having PSE pick them up from there. If I didn't do that then I was only getting the jpg images even though the raw files were certainly there on the memory card.

Not sure if this will help as I'm using Elements rather than the "Full Monty".

Oh, and no, I don't ever print direct from the camera, but I found that the above setting did the trick to transfer the images back to my PC.

Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:21 AM   #14

Thanks Squonk, now we know that the import function works, in Elements at least. In retrospect, I would think that Golfer has already got his 20D set to PTP as he can see Jpg files. It seems the problem must be with PSCS as now I can't open my Raw files with Import from a different camera altogether. I also cannot find anything to do with WIA or TWAIN drivers for my camera. I know you have the drivers on the Canon sites but nothing for me. I have emailed Konica Minolta UK, here's hoping I geta response. It may help Golfer and BYBY if I can get some kind of explanation or workaround from them. This is now one of those things that is beginning to bug me. I don't want to use the Import into PSCS, but I would like to know that it works if it is supposed to. Also, cannot find anything on the Adobe site, will have to dig deeper. I did find one thread on Adobe Forums about the 20D and import, but unfortunately they didn't come up with an answer. I'll keep trying.

Stevekin.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:13 PM   #15

Steve-following up now on your reply, yes, I did try to view the cameera files using only XP Pro, and could not see them. I then deleted all the EOS software that came with the camera and reinstalled with no positive results.

Viewing your other response, I see you are not getting raw into PS either.Squonk, if I read right, you are importing to a file, then using PS to view raw files. I can import jpegs directly into PS or anywhere on the computer. But raw shows up nowhere. Do you use a program to get you raw shots into teh computer file?

I can view the camera card directly from PS showing the jpegs, but the raw phots do not show. I do this by finding the EOS20 drive in the thumbs viewer. The old raw photos I took 2 months ago show there also. When I click on one of these it opens with the raw converter plug in.

Squonk, thanks for comong in. I tried using PSP even though directions say it will not work. They were right. Nothing. Not even jpegs.

Steve: when I go to PS Import, it shows a WIA driver and a EOS 20. I click on the EOS20 which brings up the camera and thumbs. Still can only see jpegs there.

The strange thing is, I got it to work once before I had anyh idea what I was doing. I was so new to the camera, I don't remember the complete procedure I went through, but thought I used the supplied capture program. It doesn't work for me not either.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:51 AM   #16

Golfer wrote:
Quote:
Steve: when I go to PS Import, it shows a WIA driver and a EOS 20. I click on the EOS20 which brings up the camera and thumbs. Still can only see jpegs there.

The strange thing is, I got it to work once before I had anyh idea what I was doing. I was so new to the camera, I don't remember the complete procedure I went through, but thought I used the supplied capture program. It doesn't work for me not either.
Point one above, That is what happens with mine. I can see the jpgs but I only get a Root folder in place of my Raw files.

Point two above, This would suggest that it is a software or switch/button/setting problem.

Squonk found it necessary to set his camera to PTP in order to upload using the equivalent Import function in PS Elements 3, and I can confirm that this does in fact work with my camera also set to PTP. I can import and see all files using PSE3.

This doesn't help you of course, but at least it indicates that there is almost certainly not a fault with your camera. Same Operating system, same application, same problem, two different cameras. It seems to point to something missing in PSCS or a setting not right. We'll keep trying.

I still haven't found anything to help us in the Adobe Forums or with the Adobe site and I'm still waiting to hear from KM UK. I'll have another look later.

Any other 20D owners using PSCS, or any other camera shooting raw, could you please go to File/Import/WIA Supportand see if you get your raw files to show. I've not got much hair left now !!

Thanks,

Stevekin.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:30 PM   #17

Hi Golfer. Been digging around a bit more and come up with this site.

http://www.slrcamerainfo.com/article...ctures_off_the

The most recent date is Dec 16th 2004, so the content is likely to be relevant to this scenario. The one particular FAQ " How can I get My Pictures off the camera ?" has really confused me now. :?As you will see it is stating that File/Import/WIA Support in Photoshop will only import jpeg images and not Raw from the 20D ????

My next question to you is begging to be asked...............Are you sure you were able to upload your Raw files using this method in the first place ? The mind can play some funny tricks on us all, it would be very easy to think that we'd done something one way, when in fact it was the other way.

I'm waiting for a second response from KM but don't hold out much hope of getting a solution from them, and now I am thinking that maybe PSCS doesn't actually support Raw files with this function after all. PS Elements 3 can do it but of course it is a more recent development than PSCS.

Have a dig deep in your memory bank and let's see if we can put this one to bed.

Stevekin.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:33 PM   #18

:? Steve, made a little positive progress. After reading up on your thread it indiacted I could view the camera files in EOS viewer, I was able to locate the files and view the raw and jpeg+raw files. One big step. I then was able to drag them to a desktop folder both individually, or by dragging the entire 20d file. Once they were on th desktop, I was able to view them with PS.
I do not remembere this as the procedure to import when I did the previous files. I have looked everywhere for notes or how to's on the internet and there is very little info. on how to import raw from the 20d.
Relative to your situaltion, are you able to view you raw files with any of you camera software, if then, can you drag it to a desktop folder and view the raw files with PS.
On the same subject, however, I absolutely can not belive this is the procedure Canon has in mind to get their raw files to the computer, and for that matter, any other camera manufacturer.
I will keep looking. By the way, did I see you were shooting a different camera than Canon, what was it, as I will look for it also.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:53 PM   #19

Update, just for kicks, I downloaded the new Raw Shooter program. I am able to view the raw only files in this program. Can not download from the camera however.
One thing I like about this program is it work with the lower resolution screen setup which allows me to view at a larger scale 800x600 rather than 1029x763. The higher resolution is hard on my old eyes.
I am still not satisfied on the downlad procedure, it has to be better than in my last thread.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:47 AM   #20

Golfer, I have always been able to view and edit my Raw files in Photoshop. It's just that since you started this thread I became aware that I couldn't do it using File/Import/WIA Support in PS. It now seems likely that this is not available for Raw files as the website I told you about states that you cannot import raw files only jpegs in this way, at least not with the 20D.

My camera is a Konica Minolta Dimage A2. I always transfer my files, Raw, Jpeg and Tiff using Microsoft Camera and Scanner wizard or by copying my files to a designated folder via a USB2 card reader. It transfers my images at up to 40 (forty) times faster than my camera can.

You should be able to copy all of your files to a folder and keep it somewhere other than the desktop, all of my images go into 'Steve's Photos' in their own individual folders. Then open PS and use the file browser. As long as the latest raw plugin is installed you should be able to view raw in the browser. The only dragging, dropping and copying needed to be done is at the point of transfer from your camera. Using the file browser in PS you can locate any file or folder on your hard drive so it doesn't really matter where you keep them, I just like to have some sort of order.

I would have thought that any camera, Canon included, would be able to transfer allfiles to the computer either by using camera to computer or card reader to computer as they will both be recognized as removable disks. Jpeg is a file format common to almost everything and will happily open in Windows, but raw is a different matter as each camera manufacturer has their own version of raw, necessitating the use of their own software. This is where PS is in the forefront of editing software in that you not only get a great program but it updates the Camera Raw plugin to enable viewing and editing of many many different raw files. eg, .CR2, .MRW, CRW etc, as new cameras come on the market.

Are we agreed that the Import function maybe didn't work in the way you thought or hoped ? If you are still convinced that was the way you did it previously then we can still look for a solution. If not we can concentrate on getting your raw files on to the computer in a more satisfactory way.

What do you say ?

Stevekin.