Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:23 PM   #31

Hello, thank you google and steves forums! It's not just me!

I have just bought a Canon 20D and am having the same problem getting RAW files onto the computer. The only place I can see RAW is on the camera itself and in the EOS viewer utility, but I cannot drag them from this to the desktop. I have tried all the things detailed previously, including Adobe Raw update 2.4, Canon Print Professional 1.5, Eos capture 1.2, I've even downloaded PSE3 (I have PSCS) but they all make no difference, I can only get JPEGS off the camera. Is there ANYONE out there who has got RAW off a 20D? I noticed over 1000 views of this thread so assume there is much interest.

Help!
AndyCscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:23 PM   #32

Hi AndyCscapes, It appears you have tried almost everything.:!:If I may make a couple of suggestions.

When trying to upload using Elements 3 have you got your 20D set to PTP for the data transfermode ? As Squonk advised, this seems to be the only way to currently upload raw files to your computer satisfactorily. I found I had the same problem as all you Canonites with my Dimage A2. No good in PSCS but works in Elements 3.

Another thing, I see you have got the ACR 2.4 update, which I'm sure you are aware isthe first update to support the 20D, (or supposed to anyway), but have you tried installing it in to Elements 3 ? Here is the link if you need it. http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2711

Welcome to Steve's Forums by the way.

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:22 PM   #33

Andy: May I suggest you go back to Stevekins post of 2/22 and review his attachment. You might attempt the download as described just to make sure your system functions. This is what I did with Steve's help.

I have since obtained Elements 3, but have not attempted a download. Will soon and get back to this thread. Been too bush to take photos. That is really bad.

Stevekin, how are thngs in the UK. Hope you are enjoying some good weather. Do you guys play golf over there. LOL
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:14 AM   #34

Golfer wrote:
Quote:
Been too bush to take photos.
Hello Golfer. Playing too much Golf, that's what it'll be.

Some parts of the UK have been having a bit of snow recently, but we're lucky where I am, it's just cold and dull at the moment.

Yes, I believe some people play Golf over here. I think we've got some playerswho play inthe Ryder Cup Team..............supposed to be good or something. :blah:

But I don't play myself, I wouldn't know one end of a GolfRacquet from the other.

And as Mark Twain once said, " Golf is a good walk spoiled".

Keep me posted with how you get on with PSE3,

Cheers,

Stevekin.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:19 AM   #35

Golfer/Stevekin, I've been reading and re-reading this thread as the problem seems to apply to me as well.

I've had my 20D since the first week of January and have been shooting in RAW+jpegL format. I've only been able to download the jpeg images so far. I recently obtained Photoshop CS and just loaded it on the computer I will use solely for imaging. I have not as yet tried to download images from the CF card into PS.

Guess I can assume my copy of PS does not contain the v2.4 update? I'll have a go at it later on today when I have more time and see what happens.

As an aside, my fiancee's A2 RAW images (.mrw) format download just via the Windows viewer. Strange eh?

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:35 AM   #36

It is unlikely that ACR 2.4 would be already installed.You can check by looking in Help/About Plugin and select Camera Raw. It will tell you which version is installed. But even so, it seems to be an impossibility to use the Import function with not only your 20D, but also my A2.

I can do the same as your wife and upload my raw images no problem otherwise. Of course, you can't view the images as such, until they are in either PS or using Dimage Viewer, but with the correct plugin they open up in PS.

Stevekin.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:45 PM   #37

:? UPDATE: I got a copy of Elements 3 set up on my computer and installed the latest Camera Raw plut in ver 2.4.....
The best I can tell you is Adobe is a viewer and will NOT download from the Canon 20d. I can view the files in raw adjust them, but can not download.
Hope someone will tell me I am wrong.
To date, the only program I can use to download RAW files is EOS Viewer. With this program, I must pull the 20d file to a folder on the desktop. From there I can use Adobe to move the files or view them.
So far I can do nothing with DPP, but I do not have the latest version.
This isn't what I had hoped for from Canon. I will keep looking.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:49 PM   #38

Golfer/Stevekin....I GOT IT!!! Let me get the details sorted out and I'll post back...it's late!!

TG
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:20 PM   #39

OK, here's what I did; had to do some reverse engineering as I'm working on two different computers.

First I downloaded the updated Camera RAW version 2.4 from Adobe at their website that Stevekin previously posted. I don't think that had anything to do with it but can't hurt.

This may be the most important factor: I have two eMachines both with card reader slots built in so....I removed my CF card from the 20D and uploaded directly into the computer bypassing the camera completely. Maybe this is the key?

In my instance EOS_Digital (G opened and then I had choices as to how I wanted to open the files I chose to view the files using Windows Explorer.

Then a folder called DCIM appeared. Clicking on that folder three more folders appeared marked as 100 Canon; 101 Canon and 102 Canon The first two folders were empty but 102 Canon contained all my files for example: IMG-0237 and IMG_0237.cr2

Now then if you click on one of the RAW images it says "Windows cannot open the file"...just disregard that.

Next I opened PS-CS and used the "file/open" command. I looked in EOS_Digital (G/DCIM/102 Canon and all the files appeared once again. I then selected one of the .cr2 files and Viola the bottom black bar said "Reading Camera RAW and shortly the file appeared in a small window with the EXIF data. Click OK in the upper right of that window. Again, you will see the black progress bar on the botton of the screen saying "Reading Camera RAW format" and a window will open saying (for me at least) "Embedded file mismatch regarding the colorspace. Adobe RGB is the embedded colorspace and the working colorspace is sRGB will use the embedded colorspace" Click OK and the RAW image appears and ready to work.

Was this too easy? Have I jumped the gun? Let me know what you think. Now I just need to learn CS. Maybe the whole trick is to upload directly to the computer via a slot or a card reader and not via the camera direct. Feedback??

TG
Old Mar 9, 2005, 4:25 AM   #40

Golfer wrote:
Quote:
:? UPDATE: I got a copy of Elements 3 set up on my computer and installed the latest Camera Raw plut in ver 2.4.....
The best I can tell you is Adobe is a viewer and will NOT download from the Canon 20d. I can view the files in raw adjust them, but can not download.
Hope someone will tell me I am wrong.
To date, the only program I can use to download RAW files is EOS Viewer. With this program, I must pull the 20d file to a folder on the desktop. From there I can use Adobe to move the files or view them.
So far I can do nothing with DPP, but I do not have the latest version.
This isn't what I had hoped for from Canon. I will keep looking.
You must remember to set your 20D to PTP in the data transfer mode. That is what Squonk and myself did and then you should be able to use the equivalent to import in Elements 3.

Once your raw files are on the computer they will be able to be opened with PSCS or PSE3 with the 2.4 plugin.

It's just getting the !$%"£?^&*%* on to the computer.

I have mentioned a couple of times that I use a USB2 card reader to upload, I don't use my camera, it is much much quicker. Then I can use the built in Microsoft scanner and camera wizard, or just select all images and copy them to their own folder. Photoshop CS or Elements sees them in their browsers no problem.

Did you set to PTP ?

Have you tried a card reader yet ?

Stevekin.