Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 9, 2005, 4:43 AM   #41

Quote:
First I downloaded the updated Camera RAW version 2.4 from Adobe at their website that Stevekin previously posted. I don't think that had anything to do with it but can't hurt.
It will have a lot to do with it. Version 2.4 is the first to support 20D raw files.
Quote:
This may be the most important factor: I have two eMachines both with card reader slots built in so....I removed my CF card from the 20D and uploaded directly into the computer bypassing the camera completely. Maybe this is the key?

I always do this anyway, it seems Golfer isn't able to do this with his 20D.
Quote:
Now then if you click on one of the RAW images it says "Windows cannot open the file"...just disregard that
If you right click the file and select Open With, then choose program, select PSCS, then make sure the box marked 'always use the selected program to open this kind of file' is checked, click OK, then in future whenever you double click a raw file it will open PSCS.
Quote:
Was this too easy? Have I jumped the gun? Let me know what you think.

It is supposed to happen this way. Golfer and a few others seem to be having a problem with their 20D's in that their raw files are not being recognised in the first instance.
Quote:
Maybe the whole trick is to upload directly to the computer via a slot or a card reader and not via the camera direct
I do it this way all the time. USB2, forty times quicker than my camera!!

At least you are not getting the headaches anymore. :-)

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:31 AM   #42

Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:43 AM   #43

Quote:
It will have a lot to do with it. Version 2.4 is the first to support 20D raw files.
Ooops, my mistake...glad I downloaded it first.

Quote:
If you right click the file and select Open With, then choose program, select PSCS, then make sure the box marked 'always use the selected program to open this kind of file' is checked, click OK, then in future whenever you double click a raw file it will open PSCS.
Yes, now Windows shows PS to be the recommended program when I do this.

Quote:
I do it this way all the time. USB2, forty times quicker than my camera!!
Yes, it is very fast using the reader built-in to my computer.

Quote:
You must remember to set your 20D to PTP in the data transfer mode. That is what Squonk and myself did and then you should be able to use the equivalent to import in Elements 3.
My camera is set to "Normal" and has been all along I supposed. If one uses the card reader does it make a difference?

Thanks, Stevekin, for your labors on this problem. I'm in contact with Golfer via email and PMs so maybe, together, we can get him up and running. Isn't this forum great?

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:07 AM   #44

Quote:
My camera is set to "Normal" and has been all along I supposed. If one uses the card reader does it make a difference?
No, when you use your card reader the camera's settings don't come in to it.

Only if you want to transfer your raw or Jpeg files directly from your camera using PSE3 should you set your camera to PTP.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:07 PM   #45

Quote:
It will have a lot to do with it. Version 2.4 is the first to support 20D raw files
Strictly speaking this is the case, although I now understand that version 2.3 would work. But for whatever reasons it is (20D)only officially supported with 2.4

Stevekin.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:15 PM   #46

I just started working with raw pics myself, and the only way I could download them was using the eos viewer utility that came with the 20d.And you have to drag the file to any folder you have or create on the right side of the viewer. If I tried to use my card reader (windows xp home) windows would say it could not open this type of file, this would happen after double clicking on the cr2 file, so what I did was I draged it from the card reader to my desk-top then I right clicked on the file went to properties and choose a program to open with (I choose Adobe photoshop cs-- with the 2.4 upgrade for camera raw) Then I took some more raw pics and put the card in my reader and when I got to the cr2 file on the reader and double clicked on it - it opened in photoshop camera raw. So, it seems that you just need to asign photoshop cs to open the cr2 file when using a card reader and it works fine. Cannot go to file import wia----won't work that way---- But in photoshop you can go to file oped and then choose your card reader then open the cr2 file--works that way too.

Sorry, I only seen your first page, I didn,t see the other two pages and after I entered this I could see that problem was already solved:-)
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:08 PM   #47
-jb

Very few people that shoot RAW images actually connect their camera to the computer to download images. Card readers are much faster than camera-to-computer downloads.

This is much easier than you all are making it.

1. Buy a card reader. (about $20 US)

2. Use a program designed to download and rename files from a card reader. Try Chris Breeze's Downloader Pro:

http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm

I think he still has a free trial, or you can purchase the full version for $29 US.

Some programs don't understand that some of the newer RAW image extensions (e.g., .CR2) are image files, so they don't download them. Get something that does. You would hope that Canon's OEM software would, but it seems like it doesn't from what you all have said. I've never used it, so I don't know.

Hope this helps...

-jb

-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 3:24 AM   #48

-jb wrote:
Quote:
1) Very few people that shoot RAW images actually connect their camera to the computer to download images. Card readers are much faster than camera-to-computer downloads.

2) This is much easier than you all are making it.

1) Most definitely !

2) At first glance it does seem as though a meal is being made of it, but a number of members are having trouble getting raw files off their20D's by any means.

Your suggestion seems a plausible one. Though I don't own a 20D, I hopeGolfer, etc,tries the program you linked to.

This all started when Golfer found he couldn't upload via Import in PSCS (which I can't do with my A2 and now seems a function not available anyway) and subsequently found further complications.

Your last point though, I would have thought that whatever the type of file, Windows would at least recognise it's existance, even if it couldn't/wouldn't open it. At least then the newer raw files could be saved to the hard drive and opened in PS or whichever editing program is used. Seems odd that some are having this problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Stevekin.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:41 AM   #49

Dear all!

I've read all the messages on this subject. I'm using canon eos20 and PS 7. Neither I am able to see my raw files in PS, and the plug ins on adobe's website is for a newer version of PS. Now, if anybody has ANY suggestions I'd be your most humble servant.

Yours truly,

HHH
HarryHardHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:05 AM   #50

I'm afraid it seems you may not be able to edit your raw files in Photoshop unless you upgrade to CS, as I am fairly certain Adobe have not been supporting raw upgrades in version 7 for some time. Your camera is too new and CS has been around at least a year or so. Many of the problems in this thread seem to be more about getting the raw files off the camera, once that can be done CS or PSE3 would or should be able to do something with them.

My suggestion would be to either upgrade to CS, although'Photoshop 9' or 'CS2' (same program)should be released in the not too distant future, or try the cheaper option of PSE3.

Sorry,

Stevekin.