Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:55 PM   #1

Help, I can't seem to import the raw files from my Canon 20d. They are saved as full size raw/jpeg in the camera. I have been attempting to use CS - import to bring the files into Adobe. The files import as jpeg but will not work in raw.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong.:?
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:11 AM   #2

You are doing nothing wrong. The 20D raw files have not been supported until now.You needAdobe Camera Raw update version 2.4.

Download it here. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Download the file then go to C:\program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats.

Remove the current Camera Raw 8BI file (move it to my docs or something ) Then drag or drop or Move the downloaded file to this same location.

Restart Photoshop and you should be able to open your 20D raw files now.

Regards,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:01 PM   #3

:? Stevekin; thanks for your reply, I didn't explain enugh of my problem. I presently have the upload, connected the camera, went to import in ps and uploaded my photos from the cam. The problem is they are jpegs instead of raw. I can't seem to get the raw photos to import.
Any thoughts you have please.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:25 AM   #4

I presume you are taking pictures with the camera set to Raw + jpg ??

If so, then you have explained yourself enough. Perhaps I haven't explained it well to you ??

Adobe Camera Raw is a plugin that comes pre installed with Photoshop CS. If you have not updated this file it is likely that the version of Camera Raw that you already have is version 2.0. This version will not open Canon 20D Raw files. Neither will any version up to and including2.3.When you shoot Raw + Jpg the camerastores two pictures. Photoshop will open the Jpg file but cannot open the Raw file. What you need to do is download Adobe Camera Raw Plugin version 2.4 from the Adobe website. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Unzip the file until you see the 8BI file. Minimize this to the task bar then open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats ( assuming C is the drive Photoshop is installed on ). In the file formats folder you will see Camera Raw Plugin. Move this file to somewhere safe, like My Documents, in case it is needed again. Then click on the unzipped folder in the taskbar toshow the new Plugin on screen. Resize windows if necessary. Drag the Camera Raw 8BI file into the file formats folder, from where you Moved the older file. Close every window, then start Photoshop CS. Using your browser, locate a .CR2 file ( Canon raw file for the 20D ) and open it. It should work now.

Stevekin.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:44 PM   #5

:? Thanks Steve for your help: We still are not on the same page?

1. I have the camera raw update

2. I have previously, used it 2 months ago, to import from the camera, 6 photos which worked fine.

3. Now, I can not import raw. It is as though my camera is not writing the raw cr2 files to the storage.

4. I can download from the camera jpeg files but can not find the raw files.The camera is set for jpeg+raw large file.

5. I used explorer to see if it could find cr2 file that had been stored elsewhere from the download but they are not on my computer.

Any thoughts regarding the above.

Question: Is ther anyway to check and see if my camera disk has teh cr2 files on it or if the camera is only writing jpeg files?

Don't give up on me, if I can just ask the question right, I think we can find a solution.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:28 AM   #6

Golfer wrote:
Quote:

1. I have the camera raw update

2. I have previously, used it 2 months ago, to import from the camera, 6 photos which worked fine.

Sorry, I didn't understand that you already had the update. As you were able to open raw files 2 months ago that would mean you have the 2.4 Beta version,and perhaps there is a glitch in the file, maybe it wasn't stable enough. But now, since 31st Jan '05, the final version of 2.4 is available. I still suggest you download the latest version and give that a try.

Another thing to try.When you connect your camera/card reader to the computer cancel any automated upload process, then click on Open Folder to View Files.If you can see any raw files , right click, then select Open With, then Choose Program, then Selectthe program from alist, click OK. If Adobe Photoshop is listed choose that, if not, browse for it. Put a tick in the check box for 'Always usethe selectedprogram to open this kind of file'. Finally, click OK and it should open the raw file. Download the latest 2.4 plugin first.

If you have already tried this my apologies for being on the wrong page again. If you cannot see a raw file when going through this procedure then you may be right that the camera is not writing the raw file to the card. Try shooting in raw only and see if they appear in the above scenario, or anywhere else.

I'll try not to give up on you.

Get back to me.

Stevekin.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:21 PM   #7

Steve, now we are gettin there. LOL I tried your 2nd idea to see if I could find raw files on the camera. For some reason, I can find no raw/cr2 files. Really seems wierd to me. I tried raw only and could fnd no files at all on the camera with PS.
I will download the lates raw update. I am so new to using raw, the 6 I downloaded in the past were just to see if I could, I wondered if I was doing something wrong with the process.
I used import in PS and found the 20d and jpeg files. At what point do I go to the camera raw file, or is that automatic when it reads the 20d card. Can you go through the raw import process for me just to make sure I did it correctly?
Thanks for hanging with me.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:21 PM   #8

Steve...I am having the same problems as Golfer....Don't give up on ANY of us!
BYBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:26 PM   #9

Let's get this straight. Can you see any Raw files in your camera, in review mode ?

If not, then I'm sorry I haven't got a clue as to what the problem could be.

If you can, Is it just that you cannot see/find the files using the Import function in Photoshop ? If so, do you have the necessary WIA drivers installed that Photoshop and Windows need to enable you to Import direct from your camera ? Windows XP needs WIA drivers for this. If you are using 98SE or 2000 then you need a TWAIN driver. I presumeyou had installed the drivers before as you have previously opened raw files with import, but, as we all know files can become corrupted or removed without remembering, so I recommend you download them again.
These are the drivers for the 20D.

http://alpha02.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

If the WIA driver and the latest Adobe Camera Raw 2.4are installed, when you use the Import function in Photoshop all images should be recognized.

Again, the important first question is, can you see Raw files on your camera or can you see any Raw files in Windows without using Photoshop. There wouldn't be any thumbnail pics of your Raw files but the .CR2 files should be visible.Then using the procedure in my last post you should be able to open them in Photoshop when you double click. That's because you have associated Photoshop with .CR2 files. If you haven't already, then try the above. Personally I don't use import in Photoshop. I upload from a USB2 card reader and save each batch of pictures in their own folder. Then with Photoshop open I use it's file browser to locate my pics.

See how you get on.

Stevekin.

Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:21 PM   #10

OK, yes, I can see the raw photos on the cam. That answers my question, of are they there. I took 5 raw only photos to check.

The WIA drivers appear to be installed, as it recognizes the 20d and jpeg files, just not raw files. I can download jpegs through the PS import program. My operating system is windows pro. When doing an import, I can view jpeg thumbs before the actual import, but no raw photos show up. I checked this by having both kinds of photos on the camea disk.

If I do and "Open Folder" from PS, the only thing I see are jpegs even thought I have "All Formats" showing.

In summry, I can see the raw photos along with jpegs on teh camera. I can not see raw photos on the computer using PS, or the Canon provided Photo Pro or EOS Viewer.

Any other thoughts, I am getting desparate.