Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1

Hi, I've got a 2.4GHz Pentium, 1GB RDRAM, an 80GB ATA/100and300GB SATA drives, and an ATI 9800 video card. I've got PE 3.0 and PS 7.0. The problem I have is when I use WIndows Explorer to open a directory, that's only about 50 MB, it takes about a minute or more to load. If I try to scroll ahead the computer screen jumps and all the icons disappear and then come back and I have to start over again. To correct this problem I bought PE 3.0, a new video card, and a 300GB SATA drive. I tried reinstalling PS, thinking maybe I had something messed up in the memory allocation settings or something. I thought I might have had it solved, but the problem never really went away. I defragment my hard disk about every other week and delete the temporary internet files every few days. The next thing is a new motherboard and moreRAM. Any ideas?

Thanks
hkrautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:36 PM   #2
-jb

hkrautter wrote:
Quote:
The problem I have is when I use WIndows Explorer to open a directory, that's only about 50 MB, it takes about a minute or more to load. If I try to scroll ahead the computer screen jumps and all the icons disappear and then come back and I have to start over again.
Is this directory full of images? If so, do the image icons ever display as pure black?

When you say the icons disappear, do you mean all the icons on the Windows desktop too? Or do you mean just the icons in the explorer window you have selected.

Each of these problems have separate solutions. I suspect it is not hardware related in either case.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:28 PM   #3

The directories are only jpeg images and they never display as black. I usually use the filmstrip view mode and they display across the bottom of the screen. They seem to take over a minute for about 50MB of jpegs, about 3MB each. If I try to scroll too soon the screen jumps and all icons on the desktop disappear and then slowly come back. I bought a new video card, ATI 9800, but that didn't help.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:20 PM   #4
-jb

Open Windows Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options, and then click the "View" tab. See if the option "Do not cache thumbnails" is checked. If it is checked, try unchecking it.

If that doesn't help, you might need to increase the number of cached icons in the Windows Shell.

-jb
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:57 PM   #5

Thanks, The "Do not cache thumbnails" was not checked. It would have been too easy, but worth a try. Right now I'm going to uninstall PS 7.0 and PE 3.0 to see if that makes a difference.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:21 PM   #6

Thanks for your help. I removed PS 7.0 and PE 3.0. The problem was there well before PE so I took it off just to clean things up a little more. Things move like lightning now. Any suggestions for reinstalling PS? I'm going to get PS CS2 when it comes out, but that could be a while and then it might not solve anything.

Henry
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:30 PM   #7
-jb

I have a friend that uses both Photoshop CS and Elements. (He teaches Photoshop) It has caused a few problems for him in the past. That's why I asked about the icons showing as a full black rectangle.

I'm not too familiar with Elements, but if it was me, I'd reinstall Photoshop 7 and leave Elements off.

You might look into upgrading Photoshop 7 into Photoshop CS. Once you get the full version of Photoshop, it's not so bad to keep upgrading with new versions.

If you run into the same problem again, there is a registry option that will increase the number of cached icons in the shell. This usually stops the icons from regenerating so often.

-jb
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:12 PM   #8

I just reinstalled only P.S. 7.0 and I'm right back to where I was before. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Henry
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:36 PM   #9
-jb

Windows Explorer Shell caches icons so they display faster. The default quantity of cached icons is 500. People with a lot of programs installed can reach 500 quite quickly.

When you have 500 icons cached and display a new one, the icon cache gets flushed and all icons get refreshed. This is why all the icons on your desktop disappear and then pop back up.

You can increase the quantity of cached icons by adding a "Max Cached Icons" string value to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer

Set the REG_SZ value to 2000 to start out with. That should decreas the frequency of flushing and refreshing. If it doesn't stop it, increase the value to 4000. I wouldn't go over 4000.

If you have any questions, post back here... or Google "Max Cached Icons" and you'll probably find lots of information...

-jb
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:22 PM   #10

Thanks for all your help. I found the answer on Adobe Forums. There is an Adobe dll file that interacts with explorer and provides thumbnails. The file name is psicon.dll. I renamed it, rebooted,and the problem is solved.

Thanks,

Henry