Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:09 AM   #1

Hi folk,

This is a very basic question...

I read a lot about jpegs being lossy files re saving (& I've had some excellent advice with this). This is a slightly different query.

My pix come out of the camera as jpegs.

When I bring a pic into Elements to work on it, I usually do the work- then when I have finished I 'save it as' a PS Elements file. (Leaving the original as it was.)_

Would I do better to save the pic as a PS file as soon as I bring it into Elements, rather than after working on it, or does it make no diffs?

I suspect it makes no difference, but it would be good to know.

abw, Canna.

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:40 AM   #2

It makes no difference. When you open a JPG it decompresses. If Elements works like Photoshop it will tell you the size of the image in Mb in the lower left. A 5Mp JPG that was maybe 2.5Mb will be 14.4 Mb when it is decompressed in Elements. You are no longer working with a compressed file when it decompresses but with the full image. It is a waste of time to save it in another format as far as maintaining the image quality.

One advantage of doing a :Save as" right away as a PS file (Photoshop uses PSD) is that if you accidentally :Save" instead of :Save as" when you are through or as an intermediate step, you aren't going to overwrite your original.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:07 PM   #3

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
... Would I do better to save the pic as a PS file as soon as I bring it into Elements, rather than after working on it, or does it make no diffs? ...
Slipe is right: it makes no difference whatsoever.

Although there is some degredation by saving as a JPEG, it is so slight that it is not noticable so long as you use low compression (large file size). IMHO, the only reason to save in another format is if you think you will do further editing. Although there is a very slight degregdation, the effect is cumulative so it could become noticable after several load-edit-save cycles.

Almost every program that can do anything with images can read a JPEG file. Some programs have trouble with PSD files, esp if they contain fairly complex information like adjustment layers, text layers, ... So if you want to be fairly sure of being able to use your image, you should save a copy of the final edit as a JPEG. Whether you also save a PSD is a matter of your preference and the amount of disk space you have.

Saving your original file exactly as it came from the camera with no editing whatsoever should always be done. And if you have the original, what you do about saving further edits is not really that important - you will always be able to start over. Likely you will be able to do a better editing job later as well.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:58 PM   #4

Hi Slipe and Bill,

Many thanks for your info. I hadn't realised the full process (I didn't know about decompression in the photo editing prog!) & it's great to have a clearler idea of what's happening.

Bill - I guess your last sentence refers to the fact it's better towork onyour pix with a cool eye. That is so true.

Thanks again. abw, Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:24 PM   #5
ejm

Quote:
Saving your original file exactly as it came from the camera with no editing whatsoever should always be done. And if you have the original, what you do about saving further edits is not really that important - you will always be able to start over. Likely you will be able to do a better editing job later as well.

Do you mean to save to a cdr? I know this is basic but I am trying to preserve my first pictures that I downloaded onto my pc and started playing with right away. I found out about jpegs degrading later. I am trying to remedy this by recovering the best possible copies for posterity. These are from a trip and very important to me.

Regards
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:04 PM   #6

It is always best to save your originals to CD or DVD or even a different hard drive. I do this pretty much as soon as I have copied them to my hard drive from the memory card. This helps to avoid losing your images by a hard drive failure or inadvertently deleting them or saving over them. The old maxim applies, 'don't keep all your eggs in one basket'.

As BillDrew pointed out, there is degradation with each save of a jpeg, but you really would have to open, then save many, many times to notice this. But if you are doing this to copies, no need to worry too much, you still have the originals. There is no degradation if you just open an image, view it and then just close it.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 6:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Do you mean to save to a cdr? I know this is basic but I am trying to preserve my first pictures that I downloaded onto my pc and started playing with right away. I found out about jpegs degrading later. I am trying to remedy this by recovering the best possible copies for posterity. These are from a trip and very important to me.
If you overwrote the originals there isn't much you can do. What you have is probably the best you can get. Saving as a good quality JPG doesn't really hurt much. If you are getting JPG artifacts you probably saved at a low quality. A common mistake is to downsize the image and Save rather than Save as. If you started with only one copy and overwrote it by selecting Save there isn't anything that will fix that. If you act immediately some good recovery software might get the original off the hard drive before it is overwritten by something else. But if it has been a while it isn't worth the effort.

CD is good if you use good quality media and check the error rate. Nero is pretty good about checking the recording if you set it to do that. If you intend removing them completely from the hard drive two copies on different media is a good idea. Keep CDRs in the dark as light degrades them. And do NOT use RW media.

You can be fairly safe with two hard drives if you copy the images to both. Viruses that actually attack stored files are rare.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:06 PM   #8

I make a copy of the picture and then edit the copy, never the original.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 2:21 PM   #9
ejm

Thanks all for your response to what I thought was a basic question. I apologize for bringing it up on someone else's thread but I didn't think it merited it's own. (Newbie jitters)

I went out and bought a new supply of CDRW's yesterday but I guess they aren't the answer? Can anyone fill me in on this?

Thanks again

EJM
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote