Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:29 AM   #1

Anyone have any good suggeestions for ways to convert RAW to JPG and retain color depth.
I am using PScs and of course when viewing a raw file from the Canon 300D everything looks saturated and "life like" however if I "save as" (choosing the maximum JPG compression option) the image always seems to turn out flat or hard looking. It seems to loose the "depth" of the raw image.
I am not doing any image processing just converting.
I realize that the image is being compressed and loosing some information but the results I am getting are not nearly as good as I would expect.

Anyone have a "good" method for converting RAW to JPG?

I always archive the raw but am looking for a way to print, maybe jpg is not the best option?

davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 11:49 AM   #2

Dave
I dont think this has anything to do with saving as a jpg - whatever setting for quality you use, the colour should stay as it is.
It sounds like a color profile problem. When you use Camera raw, it assigns a profile to the print, the default is usually Adobe 1998. If you change this somewhere along the line by assigning Srgb, you will lose 'color depth'. If you are using Adobe 1998, Open Edit>Color Settings. You should have the RGB working space set to Adobe RGB 1998, and the 'Color Management Policies' set to 'RGB: Convert to working RGB'. When you Save As a jpg, the ICC Profile box should be ticked. If you want to use the image for the Web, Use Image>Mode>Convert to Profile> SRGB, (not 'Assign Profile') before saving.
HTH
Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:02 PM   #3

This is what I am currently using. I will try to followup with more detail of what I am "seeing".

Attached Images

davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:38 AM   #4

Dave
That looks fine so far. When do you see the color actually change? There is one more thing you can check. In the bottom left hand corner of PS there is a small panel next to the view percentage, usually set to 'Document Size'. If you click the little black triangle to the right you can set it to show 'Color Profile'. Keep an eye on this and see if it changes when the photo changes color.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote