Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:49 AM   #1

Hi folk,

I think my monitor has had it. I keep getting pix back from the printer showing stuff that I can't see on the screen, (and they assure me they print exactly what I send on CD...they never change the exposure.) People alsooccasionally talk about stuff here on S.F. which I can't see...:O

I've calibrated this monitor, but I've gone as light as I can. I need to be able to go lighter.

So - I need to get a new monitor, & it will have to be in the cheapo range.

It would help me though to know if there is anything I should look out for, or that would help me, given my interest in pix and photo-editing.

Advice would be very much appreciated.

abw,

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:49 AM   #2

Try this site first. It takes only a minute or two to calibrate, and once done the site remembers your settings. Then just visit the site for a few seconds before editing and it recalibrates for you. If the old monitor can't be calibrated, then this will work nicely on the new one.

http://www.easyrgb.com/calibrate.php

CRT monitors are supposed to be better for graphics than LCD's, and can be much cheaper. Surpluscomputers.com was selling, and may still have available, refurbishedSony Trinitron 20" crt's for under $100US (sold for close to $1000 a few years back).

Good luck, Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:28 AM   #3

Hi Lou,

Many thanks for your help.

In the end I had to get a new monitor - I found a very cheap 17" crt (here in the UK).

I've calibrated it using the site you mentioned.

Thanks again for your help.

abw,

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:44 AM   #4

Canna, don't get a cheap monitor.
Something that I've learnt is that you always have to get a good monitor, remember that you'll be in front of it for many hours and if it's a bad monitor, it won't be good for your eyes.
Find one with a good refresh rate (over 80) and flat if possible (and I don't mean LCD). ; )
Skylined is offline   Reply With Quote