Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Editors (Photoshop, Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Kdenlive, etc.)

Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:40 PM   #1

I have received two images of hummingbirds for our Hummingbird Photo Gallery, taken with digital cameras. For the first time in my experience, when I open these files in PhotoShop (not PS Elements), about half the menu options are greyed out. Some of the ones are critical ones that are much needed (Embed Digimarc, for one).

Even when I try to save the files under another name, only 3 options are given: PSD, RAW, and TIFF.

Can anyone give me a way to work around this, and help me understand the underlying cause?

Thanks in advance.

Ross Hawkins

THE HUMMINGBIRD SOCIETY
hummerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:27 PM   #2

hummerman wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone give me a way to work around this, and help me understand the underlying cause?
There are many variations on TIFF, with different degrees of compression, though all will contain the complete information in the original image, because it's a non-lossy format.

I suggest you try one of the many excellent freeware image converters.

I especially like Irfanview from www.irfanview.com, and xnview from www.xnview.com. Once you've got it converted to something readable, you can put into Photoshop as usual.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:45 PM   #3

Usually if you have the save options limited to those three the image was saved with layers. Go Layers>Flatten Image and see if your options don't open up. You should be able to see them in the layers palette as well.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:06 AM   #4

Ross
It sounds like they could be in Lab Color - use Image>Mode>RGB , or more likely in 16-bit - use Image>Mode>8 Bits per Channel.

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:46 PM   #5

Bingo! It was in 16-bit color (first one ever on MY computer. Switching it to 8-bit made all menu items come back. This was an aspect of PhotoShop I had not encountered before.

Thanks for the help!

Ross

Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:50 PM   #6

To those who took time to help me, thank you. If you'd like to see our handiwork with hummingbird images, they can be viewed at http://www.hummingbirdsociety.org/photogallery

Ross